Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacing the Radiator on my 325i

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by jat007, Feb 28, 2008.

jat007 guest

Greetings,

I am a proud owner of a 92' 325i 4-dr sedan. I will be replacing my original radiator soon and I would like to know how. I'm very handy with cars, but this is my first 1992 325i sedan ever.

Also, I would like to know there are any gotchas that I should know. Lastly, where should I buy my next radiator from?

Thank you in advance.

Jat

:confused:

jat007 guest

Greetings from Minnesooohta.

I was able to find great info on the Pelican site on "How To" replace the Radiator.

Thanks anyway.

Jat

:p

mjweimer

Jat,

There are generally two choices for a radiator replacement, OEM Behr and an aftermarket Nissens.

I have used a Nissens on an E30 with good results and used a Behr on my E36.

Bimmerworld.com sells both brands for good prices.

While you are doing the radiator I also recommend replacing the expansion tank and cap as well as the thermostat, main hoses and water pump (if not already done previously).

Also don't forget to drain the coolant from the block by removing the drain plug located below the exhaust manifolds on the side of the block. This has an aluminum crush washer that can be reused if carefully removed and not over-tightened upon re-installation.

Good Luck!

Matt

TeamStowell We love driving!

Pelican Tech Articles

I was going to suggest the Pelican Tech pages... I have not replaced our E36 radiator yet, but some of the other maintenance we have done has been made much easier with the aid from this site. Also, if you have not introduced yourself to Mike Miller yet. he is an invaluable resource for all things BMW.

shadowpuck

a few other suggestions......

i echo the mike miller comment, if you plan on keeping the car awhile, get his recommended maintenance schedule; it's great!!

i have two books in the garage anytime i'm working on my 3 series; first, the Bentley service manual, and second, 101 Projects. 101 Projects is available through Pelican Parts and serves as an excellent companion and sometimes cliff notes to the Bentley service manual.

the pelican parts tech pages have some great writeups, as do a few online sources such as bimmerdiy and various forums.

jat007 guest

Thank you guys! This is a great site for years to come.

Cheers!

Jat

msokol78 guest

i could beat both prices if you are interested.... the brands that i have are Behr and Nissens....
    just request which you would like

you could contact me at 732-642-9755

Joe.

thank you !!!!

talkt o you soon !!

best regards

330indy1

I put a Behr in the e39. I put a Zionsville Autosport in the e36

with an upgraded Stewart pump and aluminum thermostat housing. mo money mo money. But when I sold the car I got it back (sold it to another enthusiast)