Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacing Rear License Plate Frame on a 330

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by dmason2002, Sep 30, 2008.

dmason2002

I use a power screwdriver, and while pulling out on the plate at the corner nearest the screw, I reverse the screw, either it releases or the brass insert pulls out of the plastic plate holder, Install a new holder (15$?) with new plate screws lightly antisiezed.

373214 guest

How do I remove the interior trunk lid panels so I can access the fasteners for the rear license plate holder? Thanks!

sl71333 guest

you dont...the screw have these bolt that basically just sit there and hold themselves in place. If the screw is turning but not loosening itself than the area where the bolt is could be stripped..This is the way that it was on mine...I have a 2002 E46 330ci. It really is a pain and it was an annoying design...good luck!

373214 guest

Yep, that's the problem. I'd like to replace the license plate holder with a new one, but don't know how to get the old one off.

sl71333 guest

with mine one of the screws completely fell out on its own so from what i remember i just pulled the secon done out. Then the frame came off and there are two holes that are in the trunk that fit a plastic piece that you must use in order to get anything onto the back of the car. Next I put the plate onto the new frame and actually drilled right throught the plate and put screws throught the plate and right into the plastic piece/holes in the trunk. I also put screws in to hold the plate to the frame and simply kept it there with bolts and washers. That was 3 months ago and it is still holding strong even with multiple trips on some very bumpy roads. Good Luck