Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Recommendations pls: sloppy '86 325 5-spd stick shifter

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by hughdrbf, Oct 15, 2008.

hughdrbf guest

Hi all. I'm looking for guidance and recommendations to help me tighten-up the manual gearshift in my 1986 325. After 270,000 great miles the stick has become really sloppy.

I can't seem to hit the right word combinations for an effective search of the forums, so my apologies in advance if this has been discussed many times before.

What I've found by searching a few vendor sites is either an R&R of the shifter assembly with a new one for ~$300 (and these seem to come universally as "short shift" types that reduce the throw), or an R&R of the side bushings for ~$25.

All comments and recommendations welcome on which way to go, and which manufacturers and parts folks have used and like.

Thanks!

Hugh

Brian A

hughdrbf guest

Brian, thanks very much - that's the kind of info I was looking for!

MGarrison

hughdrbf guest

Thanks! More good info. Much appreciated.

Hugh

az3579

Yeah, one of those was my thread. I have to say that I am 200% satisfied with getting the short shift and the bushings replaced. The shifts are a lot tigher now and the throws are perfect. I did a test shift in an E39 (stock shifter) and the throws were waaaaaaaaay too long. I've gotten used to the SSK so quickly and wondered why I didn't do it sooner.

Also, since it's a tigher shift, there's less of a chance you'll grind 2nd gear on a regular basis, like I used to. The bushings were so worn that it was amazingly easy to grind even 3rd and 4th because it simply had no more feel. Now, it's a whole different ball game.

Don't think about it; GET IT! This is how all BMWs should shift.

P.S. - don't be fooled by those who say "it'll be easier to mis-shift with the shorter throws". That's bologna - it's actually easier because you have a better idea of whether or not you're shifting into the proper gear due to more feel and crispness.