Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Recalls?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by erapilot, Nov 21, 2008.

erapilot guest

Having recently purchased my first BMW, a nice 2001 540i Sport, I discovered that there have been 3 recalls for this vehicle. One for the airbags and 2 for the cooling fan. My questions are, (1) does BMW only perform the corrective actions for the original buyer, or is it available to subsequent buyers if not completed already, and (2) how can I determine if they have been done?

Having been in an automobile where the airbags deployed, I would not like having one deploy inadvertantly, scaring me out of 3 years growth.:eek:

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    • Staff

steven s

The dealer (if he wants to be nice) can punch in your VIN to see if the work was performed.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

By law a recall must be performed on every vehicle no matter how old or how many owners. They should try to track you down to perform the recall because there is a liability involved for them if their cars are out there unrepaired. Ask the dealer, they will be required to let you know.
    Service bulletins are a different matter. They are just there to let the dealer know what might be the cause of certain problems and how to address them so they don't waste time or money figuring things out.