Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear subframe floor failure

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 326108, Sep 6, 2008.

326108 guest

(Note: although this question is about an E46, I'm posting it in the E36 forum as well since it's my understanding that this problem started with the E36's and may have been more frequent in E36's)

A nephew of mine has a 2000 328Ci which has experienced the rear subframe mount point failure problem. This is where the suspension subframe/differential carrier torque load creates cracks in and eventually tears out the floor section where the mount point(s) are located.

We're doing some research on possible approaches and have contacted Mike Miller and Turner Motorsport who manufactures reinforcement kits for the rear floor subframe mount points.

In addition, however, it would be very helpful to hear from any of you who may have experienced this failure as to how you dealt with it.

Some of the questions that would be useful:
    1. Were you succesful at getting BMW to address the problem? Did it take legal action or threat of legal action?
    2. Did you repair the problem? What did it cost you?
    3. If yes to 2, who did the work for you? My nephew lives in LA right now so west coast references would be very helpful.
    4. If yes to 2, did you have the TMS reinforcing kit installed? If not, why?
    5. If you didn't repair the problem what did you do?

Any information that any of you have about this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Dave Ross