Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ready to pull those doors!

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Zdaneman, Mar 7, 2010.

Zdaneman

I just ordered the window regulators for both the right and left doors of my 325is. I've been in there before but I've never replaced window regulators. Any tips? I've heard it will be close quarters work!

By the way Bavarian Autoparts also had the battery cover for my trunk. I've been looking for one for a while now. Why does this part always seem to be missing from so many E-30s? I've looked through several junkyards trying to locate one. I'm sure glad they had them.

In addition, does any one know of a better way to install seal belt buckle stops? Bavarian Autoparts sells them and I've installed several, they work great but never seem to stay in place longer than 3 to 4 months. I've tried using a chain breaker tool (for motorcyles) to mushroom the plastic point as uniformily as possible but it always seems to end up less than perfect. Does anyone have experience with these or know of a tool or better procedure to install them?

Turning wrench as always!

Zdaneman sends

John in VA

It's not bad. If you have the smarts to get the door panel off you can do it! I did a search of r3vlimited.com and e30tech.com but didn't find a full-blown DIY.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69908&highlight=window+regulator
    http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45715&highlight=window+regulator
    http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28801&highlight=window+regulator

Better yet, see this and go to section 51 from "Contents":
    http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/561en/index.htm

If you need to hold the window glass up and out of your way, wrap some duct tape from the upper inside, up and over the window frame, to stick on the upper outside of the window - use several strips.
    I haven't had a seat belt tang retainer button fail on my E30 or E28s, over a combined 34 years of ownership. You could revert to the older style clamping device - cheap and effective. #13 in the diagram:

[IMG]

13 CLAMPING - used up to 09/1984: part number 72-11-1-862-636

The battery covers are missing because they are removed to access the battery, then thrown on the ground or elsewhere. Many lazy owners, usually with cars in a poor state of repair, keep it off because it takes a minute to R&R.

az3579

Window regulator??? It was my understanding that it wasn't possible to replace just those and that they had to be bought with the glass???
    Isn't there some kind of special process to get the regulator to stick to the window?

jeanm guest

No, the regulator (manual or crank) is bolted to the glass. The glass has metal tabs attached to it, so you can replace the glass or regulators or both.

Zdaneman

Excellent

John,

Thanks for the tips and web sites and the tool number, I'll try to locate one!

I've been told E-30 maufactured after 2/88 have a different regulator.

Zdaneman sends

jeanm guest

Early ones are cable style and later model are scissor type. early and late glass is also different.

Zeichen311

Try slamming the car door on one with the belt hanging out, I found that was quick and effective.:mad:

Between you, you guys just made my weekend: I gave up trying to locate those things years ago, after being told multiple times they were not available separate from the belt assembly. Thanks!

As for installing, I'll know better when I have them in hand, but I'm thinking heat is the way to go. Take an old drill bit whose diameter matches the desired mushroomed diameter of the button pin, clamp it in a Vise-Grips, heat with a torch and press gently on the pin. If you have an old one to practice on you can gauge the temperature with a few trials, otherwise start on the cool side and work your way up. You want to get hot enough to soften the plastic so it will deform under pressure, but not so hot that it actually melts or adheres to the rod.

Tahoe guest

I installed mine according to the instructions. ie: I used a solder gun to melt the tip of the male side (ouch). That didn't hold too long so I tried again and added a drop of superglue. So far, so good.

Zdaneman

Glad to help!

Bavarian Autoparts pretty much has just about everything for an E-30! Glad your getting some button stops for your belts, make life much easier!!

They even have this part number...72-11-1-862-636. Its a whole $0.95 ! Just can't go wrong for a buck!

Zdaneman sends