Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

rain in back floor board of 5 series - E39

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 024492, Aug 13, 2012.

024492 '73 - 2002

Hello, I have rain coming in my rear doors - 2003 5 series with M sport package. Only when heavy downpour and then it collects inside in the rear passenger foot well (both sides). I can't localize it but it seems to be coming from the seals (all look good to me), not from the ceiling or from undercarriage. Any help is apprecitaed on solving. Thanks, Peter

MGarrison

Lots of possibilities, make sure your sunroof drains are clear.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Ever had your window regulators replaced on either rear door? Maybe a prrior owner? If so, good chance that the moisture barrier liner was not properly resealed when they put the door back together.

Test this way: sit inside the car. Have a helper run a hose one the window of a rear door, full gushing flow of the hose. In a few minutes, look for a trickle coming in from the bottom o the door into the interior of the car.

Pretty easy DIY fix if this is it. Let us know.

brucembergeron

It's most likely the moisture barrier inside the rear doors. I've had a few E39's and all of them have suffered from this problem. I agree it's a DIY repair, there are videos on YouTube that show the process well. Otherwise I suggest finding an independent BMW tech and they can do it in about an hour per door.