Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Radio Display Missing Pixels

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by leland, Aug 26, 2008.

leland

Some pixels went out on the IP cluster DIS and they replaced the entire cluster since it's one unit. Fortunately, it was under warranty. Now, the radio is missing some lines of pixels and I supect that the entire radio would have be replaced to fix the problem. Does anyone know if that is true?

suss1173

It's not the actual radio, it is just the radio display, if you make a stink to BMW/NA they may help with the $$$ of the part.

Jonathan Spira guest

I suspect you mean you want to replace the MID, not the radio. (You didn't specify how your car is equipped either so we're guessing a bit here).

BMW was (a few years ago) replacing out of warranty MID units because they failed prematurely. I suspect it might be too late now to take advantage of this generosity on their part but you could try to purchase a used MID that's known to have no pixel issues.

ZeroDfx guest

I was recently offered 50% of the part covered by BMWNA and I pay for the labor. I suspect the labor charge is a minimum one hour even though exchanging the MID shouldn't take more then 5 minutes.

suss1173

I called around for the install price. Some of the stealerships said 1 hour and others said 2 hours, however all independent shops I called said 1 hour max.... BMW will only give the part to a dealer to install, so you have to have a stealership do the work.

After arguing with BMW, they covered 100% of the part. They wanted to see my brad loyalty, so I gave them a copy of my old registration from my previous 528 sport and provided them the registration on the Min that I currently own and the 540ia that was receiving the part.

Good Luck!

figradio guest

My dash pixels have been slowly deteriorating on my 2002 540ia. Is this happening to anyone else? Does it require a complete dash pull out in order to replace the pixels? Is it expensive?

Fig

az3579

The pixels dying on an E39 is a very common problem. I think there's a way to fix it (I think there's an ad in Roundel for a place that does this), but just be warned: replacing is very expensive.

ZeroDfx guest

The dashboard will usually be replaced by BMWNA since it potentially represents a saftety issue if I recall correctly. I've had the dash display replaced twice by BMW and I paid the one hour labor to have it done. The entire plexiglas unit in front of the steering wheel comes out in one piece and thet can then access the display; so the entire dashboard does not have to come apart.

Good luck,
    Nick

az3579

Let's not get confused here. This is the instrument cluster we're talking about, not the dash. The dash can take all day to remove in some cars...

The instrument cluster takes no more than an hour in almost every car.

ViolinARC guest

leland

Thanks for the good information

BMWNA informed me that they will not help with the radio display pixel issue. I am pushing them by saying that they have assisted others. We'll see what happens.

ViolinARC guest

The Good Fight

Keep up the good fight and use the forum's knowledge for leverage. Also keep emphasizing the fact that you are a bimmer enthusiast. You can do it man! :cool: