Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Quick Question-Daytime Running Lights

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by listerone, Jul 21, 2009.

listerone guest

New to BMW and BMWCCA...just took delivery of a new E90 diesel which features the option of switching on or off the daytime running lights.Does using them shorten the service life of the Xenon bulbs which,I understand,cost a fortune to replace? The answer will determine whether or not I use them.TIA!

granthr

Don't use them!!!! They are annoying!!!! Drives me nuts in the early morning or late evening when people don't turn on the driving lights and their DRLs are blinding me! Okay, off my rant.

They don't use the xenons so no worrys there. They use the high beam bulb, which is a halogen H1 or the angel eyes.

rspeser

I have them on my 2006 Z4 and like the safety factor. They are great for passing on two lane roads to let the oncoming cars see you better. Unless your car is totally different from mine, you will have to have the dealer flash the computer to enable the DRL.

granthr

Um, you shouldn't be passing when on coming cars are coming. Also that is what the high beam switch is for (Flash to pass). :D If people would just get off their phones and pay attention we wouldn't need such stupid "safety' features. The only reason we have them is because Canada made them into law and GM put them on all cars for costs reasons. So other companies followed suit not to be out down with "safety" features.

DRL can now be turned on and off on new BMWs through iDrive.