Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Question about the 1-series hatchback

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by bcweir, Mar 16, 2013.

bcweir

To my knowledge, BMW still adamantly refuses to import the 1-series in ANY hatchback form.

So I have a theory:

Would be theoretically possible to order the body panels and glass from a hatchback and convert a coupe with a similar number of side doors to a correct hatchback body? Are the roof panels and windshield glass and frame the same?

This would be done by a body shop specializing in BMW body repair.

Sure it would be prohibitively expensive, but I can't think of another way to get a hatchback 1-series into the USA.

Just a theory I am kicking around in my head.
    • Staff

steven s

I recall a past Motorsport Manger saying NA would never bring a 1 to the US.
    Also recall NA would never bring a 4 cylinder.
    And they say people don't buy hatchbacks.

Need to remind NA that a Mini is a hatchback.
    As well as the Z Coupes and I'd go as far and say Tourings are too.
    Isn't a SUV also a hatchback?

I'd like a 1 hatch but it would be way out of my price range.

bcweir

As I recall, BMW had no intention of importing such cars as the 2002 Turbo, the E21 320i/6 or 323i, the E30 M3, or the E36 M3 either. Obviously BMW relented with the E30 and E36 M3, but they didn't officially import any six series powered E21's or the 2002 Turbo AT ALL, yet creative owners determined to get one found a way to get them over anyway. We also weren't supposed to get the E23 745i either. We did manage to get the turbocharged M30 powered one, but unfortunately the South African E23 powered by the DOHC M88 remained out of our hands.