Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Purchasing a helmet for auto cross

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2009' started by auto_x_addict, Sep 12, 2009.

auto_x_addict guest

How much should a helmet cost me? I do not want to spend a lot of money on one. There is nothing left after getting my car ready. Any suggestions on price and vendor would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Alan

Brian A

Buying a helmet is one of those things that is pretty personal: its a bit like buying a new pair of shoes. Fit is pretty much everything.

Go to one of the big motorcycle shops in your area, quiz the salesperson a bit and just go up and down the rows of helmets looking for one that feels comfortable. Again; the salesperson will guide you as to what 'correct fit" means.

You'll need a helmet with a Snell SA2005 or M2005 rating. This is important; some helmets only have DOT certification which is insufficient. The helmet will have a Snell sticker on the inside showing its certification. Technically you'll be allowed to use a SA2000 or M2000 helmet in 2009, but next year they will no longer be allowed when Snell 2010 guidelines are issued. Apparently the Snell 2010 standard is substantially different than previous Snell standards so there may be a longer "grace period" for Snell 2000 helmets, but I am not sure.

The bottom line is fit and comfort and the correct Snell sticker. Typically helmets are slightly over $100. I bought a Snell 2000 helmet last year for $35, but I was really lucky and wasn't fussy about graphics (no, no honestly its a kinda cool helmet, just plain stripes: no Hello Kitty or Iron Maiden graphics).

pseto

i agree that fit is very important. one company's large maybe a medium in another, so its best to go to a local place and try on a few...then once you've found the right fit and one with the right Snell rating, go by it online (its usually cheaper).

CRKrieger

You might think they'd issue the new standard during the year it's dated, but often, they do not. ISTR that previous standards lagged by a year or two.

You will find that prices reflect the difference in approach to helmet uses between sanctioned (SA standards for racing and car events) and non-sanctioned (M standards for all motorcycle helmets, most of which are used on the street) uses. Unless you're racing, a motorcycle helmet with an M2000 rating is essentially just as good as one with an M2005 rating. No one will keep you from riding with it. So you will find motorcycle helmets selling well past their 'use by' date. An outdated SA helmet, though, is virtually useless unless you're using it on a street motorcycle, and close-out prices often reflect that.

auto_x_addict guest

are full face helmets required for auto cross or can i go with an open front for maximum ventiation and visibility?

MGarrison

Typically, in BMW car club events, a Snell SA-rated helmet is the requirement, and often, Snell M-rated helmets are accepted. No more than 10 years old - Snell 2000 rated helmets I think will likely not be accepted by most chapters for events in 2011. Unless a chapter or event has a specific constraint, usually open-face and full-face are accepted. Check with your local chapter or event organizer for specific requirements.

Read up on the main differences here: http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#7

Unless you have a reason to prefer otherwise, if you anticipate participating in auto-related events, consider an SA-rated helmet.

CRKrieger

Mine is open face.

[IMG]

I think those who insist on a full face helmet in a street sedan are a bit on the overly paranoid side. If you crash your car, you will probably end up with an airbag in your face anyway ...