Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Pre-purchase Inspection Los Angles area

Discussion in 'BMW' started by twboyer, Jul 8, 2008.

Does anyone have recommendations for a shop to perform pre-purchase inspection on an E-30? Car is in Los Angles area.

Sorry, I am not from the left coast - Ihave no info on an inspector. Here is some info for you though!

Misfires can be the cause of, and caused by cracked or cracking cylinder heads
    This weakness is the only engine failure I have seen on E30 325i models. If there are any misfires, have them diagnosed or rectified prior to purchase.

In addition to standard checks (ie hubs, differential oil change history, door locks, etc)

1. Look out for any loose interior fixings which will indicate DIY work, electrical issues, etc.
    2. Check for signs of crash damage at all body welds, bumper alignment points
    3. Check the condition of the rear suspension springs
    4. Listen for any excessive rattles from the cam cover area could indicate cylinder head trouble.
    5. Check for worn guides and signs of head gasket problems (ie oil deposits on the block)
    6. clutch and rear subframe bushings tend to fail on these cars
    7. Check for aftermarket springs or shcoks that may compromise the suspension in the long term, especially if it is a factory sport model.

Good luck.