Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

power windows and sunroof stuck in closed position

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by nezmat, Apr 2, 2009.

nezmat guest

I have a 4 door 1998 bmw M3.
    My power windows and sunroof are stuck in closed position.
    Does anyone know how to correct this problem?
    Annetee

granthr

Check ALL your fuses! :D I am willing to bet you have a blown fuse in there, if they were just working recently.

nezmat guest

power windows/suroof

Yes...I thought that too, but I checked and all fuses are fine.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Does the E36 have a breaker for the windows like the earlier cars do? I can't remember, but if it does, check that.

granthr

Paul, I was wondering the same thing and I even have an E36! But I don't think so, at least not on the dash anywhere.

I blew a fuse when I removed the car phone in my E36. I cut through the wires to the phone without disconnecting the battery. Real dump move on my part. I don't know what I was thinking. But it caused the power windows and sunroof to stop working. This happened with everything open. I was still able to close everything with the key in the door feature. But then I did find a blown fuse and everything was back to normal. This was a year ago and I cannot remember which fuse, but it was not the windows fuse.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yeah, when he says check every fuse, he is not messing around. Seemingly unrelated fuses can cause a malfunction. Next on the list, the comfort relay. Your car may or may not have it, but if it does, it is a common problem. You may want to google that or do a search here, because I know we have discussed this before.