Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Power steering fluid leak

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by svartorn, Jan 25, 2009.

svartorn

Looking at my Bentley repair manual, I think its the fluid supply line, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone know the name of this and/or part number for this? It is leaking very very very slowly, but I still want to take care of it.

[IMG]
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

svartorn

Ahh, that picture is much more clear. I'm not sure if the problem is caused by 14 or 15, so I'll probably get both. Thanks!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

14 is just a hose clamp. You have to cut the old one off, so you will definitely need to get a new one. BTW, there might even be a partial part number visible on the hose so you can be certain you are getting the correct one, but it is pretty easy to tell which it is since part 1 goes to the pump and part 15 goes to the power steering cooler at the driver's side of the radiator.

ViolinARC guest

Easy fix...

They leak at the connection hose under the ps housing due to weak clamps...a common problem and yes, mine leaked there too. I was also leaking under the oil filter housing. The solution discussed at BF.c is to simply replace the clamps with better quality ones. You get a better seal at the hose because the higher quality clamp is actually doing it's job.

As you may already know, this follows along the lines of soft thrust arm bushings, poor quality window "covers" (rubber finishing seals) that disintegrate over a short time, bad pixels on the dash display, failing cooling systems and temperature sensitive o-ring seals in the VANOS that fail rapidly. I guess when you put all that R&D money into performance and luxury, something else has to suffer...

clarkethomason

thanks guys!

replaced the clamps on my 2003 540i and no more PS leak and no new hose required. Thanks for the hint...

:cool:

ViolinARC guest

Sweet...glad to hear it!

WOOHOO...I LOVE success stories! Congrats...:D