Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Pirelli Tire Issues on an X-5

Discussion in 'BMW' started by prk25, Nov 6, 2021.

prk25

Hello! My name is Paul and I am new to the group! I live in South Dakota. I have a 2018 BMW X5 that I love! Over the last few months I have had two Pirelli Verde Scorpion run flat tires lose their treads and damage my car while going around 80 MPH on the interstate. The road conditions were normal and I know I didn't hit anything. No sensors came on either. Fortunately, each time I was able to control the car and safely get to the side of the road and my kids and I weren't hurt. However, each time it has caused $10K plus damage to the car. I have serviced the car regularly at my local BMW dealership so the tires are in good shape. I filed a claim with Pirelli tire and the latest damaged tire was mailed to them for inspection. After almost 90 days Pirelli's third party came back denying my claim saying "that the tire became disabled due to a localized road hazard injury to the tread. No manufacturing or design anomalies were found in the tire." I am asking for proof. I have heard from the body shop they have seen several other BMW and Mercedes crossovers with similar issues with Pirelli tires. I have involved our Consumer Protection department of our Attorney General's office for help because mostly I am concerned that others are going to hurt or killed. And it seems that is what you need to get their attention. Have others had problems with these tires?

File a report with the NHTSA. Sounds like that line of tires is defective.