Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Passenger seat Air bag switch

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by steverward, Sep 9, 2011.

steverward

The airbag passenger indication switch has gone bad on my 98 528. Looking at the Bentley manual it looks like the switch feeds an analog to digital converter then goes to the main module. My question is does anyone know if I can put a resistor across the analog lines feeding the A/D converter so the system always thinks there is a passenger? And if so, what is that resistive value? I am going to try to measure the resistance with and without a passenger, but with a questionable switch I may not get a good reading. I understand to fix the switch it is around $500. If a car this age is in a wreck sever enough to deploy the air bags, the car is going to be considered totaled anyway. So having an airbag needlessly deploy is not an issue.

steverward

New update: While my

New update: While my daughter got in and out of the front seat the resistance would change between 80kohms with passenger to around 3 M ohms without. So the next step is try to see if a 80k ohm resistor from radio shack will solve this problem.