Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Pass Tech Inspection with Schroth 4 Point Quickfits

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by danielim, Aug 20, 2014.

danielim

Not too long ago Schroth released 4 point Quickfits designed for the E9x and E82. I know regular 4 points are looked down upon and may not even pass tech with certain clubs but...

1) Is there an exception for Schroth since they have the anti-submarining (ASM) technology?
    2) Does the rule of equal restraints apply to Schroth harnesses too? I know if anything some instructors would prefer the factory belts over a 4 point regardless of manufacturer. If they are required, could I get away with a Pro harness (used with HANS) and non-Pro on driver side (no HANS)?

I typically drive solo but every once in a while I'd like to take an instructor with me. I should clarify my dedicated track car has seats/rollbar/6 points but I'd like the option to take out my daily and use my HANS if my track car isn't available.

MGarrison

I'm not sure the requirements about that are consistent from chapter-to-chapter. Most 'CCA schools I get to seem to require equal restraints for driver & passenger sides, but don't get much more specific than that. I'm sure there's no exception for Schroth or any other brand or type of harness - point being, the passenger should have whatever the driver has - both seats should have 4 pt. harnesses, 5 pt, 6 pt. or whatever, if something different is to be used.

The problem with 4 pt. harnesses is it's virtually impossible to keep the lap belts properly positioned if you're really going to snug yourself in, since really tightening the shoulder straps inevitably pulls the lap belts off the waistline & hips, positioning them instead across the lower abdomen. As un-ideal as that is, the only option is to snug the lap belts as much as possible, and snug up the shoulder belts whatever you can without pulling the lap belts off your waist.

And, there's the whole issue of harnesses across the shoulders in a car with no rollbar. However unlikely a rollover might be, if it happens when you're in harnesses, you'll be more locked-in than w/ the stock belts, and possibly less-able to move around in the car as designed, which presents a risk of serious injury if there were any collapsing of the roof - in any case, I think the safety aspects of harnesses without a rollbar is debatable. No doubt they'll hold you in place better for track driving - not sure if it's the safest route though.

If you opt for some Schroths, I don't know that one would be pro & one not, as long as they're both 4 pts. However, consider your seat design and any possibility of the harnesses moving around should there be an accident, the Hans can only do it's job if it's secured in place.

Another option might be one of the other head/neck restraint devices that strap to you instead of having to be secured in place by shoulder harnesses - you could use your hans w/ the rollbar car, and the other in your daily, regardless of what you do w/ belts.

I'm not sure if there are 'CCA driver's schools that require harnesses, kinda doubt it.

danielim

Thanks for the info. Again I do run 6 points with seats & roll bar in my track car so I know the benefits of running a 6 pt over a 4. I just want to know if CCA recognizes the Schroth Quickfits (designed for BMW specific models) as being different than your typical 4 point, and would pass tech on that basis. And then if so, would they still require both equal constraints for a car that's typically driven solo. Like would it be one of those scenarios "yes we'll pass your tech with driver side harnesses only but you're not allowed to have a passenger in the car with you" or "solo or not, you need equal restraints".

MGarrison

I would tend to think any Schroth, quick-fit or otherwise, properly installed, would be acceptable; &, if you only want only one for the driver's side, I'd tend to think that's ok too, I'd think it's fine to use when driving solo. I'd think most 'CCA track events would say that if you were to have a passenger or instructor in the car, if you have a Schroth only for the driver, they would require the driver to use the stock belt while on track, same as the passenger.

There _may_ be some chapters that are picky enough to be absolutist about it & say they wouldn't let you run unless you have the same belts for both sides, but, dang, that's being awfully nit-picky. Any chapter organizers running an event should be able to clarify that for you; I seriously doubt any 'CCA d.s. organizer would turn away anyone prepped & ready for an event if they have at least stock belts available for both driver & passenger - most chapters need every attendee they can get these days!

Including Buckeye Chapter... at our October school.... at Mid-Ohio... ;)