Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Paint Question - My Beautiful 535 Has Been Scarred!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by WingedWheel, Mar 1, 2014.

WingedWheel

So I've had my wonderful GT for four months, when either 1) someone deliberately poured some type of chemical on my hood in an act of cowardly, malicious vandalism, or (admittedly more likely) 2) something dripped onto my hood when I was briefly parked in a run-down, urban parking garage the other day. [IMG]

I'm pretty sure it's the second scenario, as a repeat visit to the garage and examination of the ceiling certainly suggested evidence of all kinds of leaking who-knows-what from every crack, crevice and light fixture. (Yes, I'm kicking myself for not noticing this when I parked, but I was in a hurry at the time ...)

As the pics below indicate, I'm now left with a bizarre streak of discoloration that seems to be oxidizing by the day. An immediate, gentle washing within hours after the incident was of no help, and rubbing the affected area with one's finger produces a whitish haze and a dirty residue on the fingertips.

Would welcome any thoughts and suggestions for my anticipated remedial measures, especially from those who have experienced such misfortune in the past.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

cburn

What have you tried so far? Did a wash remove anything or is the clearcoat damaged? Clay bar?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Eeew. First: See if it's covered by your insurance. If indeed this is something eating into the paint, it's not going to be a simple clean-and-polish fix.

ChristopherG

Lime from a cement ceiling possibly. I would talk to a local detailer and see what can be done. Depending on price and options it may not be worth mentioning to insurance and just get a full paint correction done.

WingedWheel

Thanks for all the insights and suggestions. I'm glad to report that a clay bar treatment did the trick, and she looks almost good as new.

GoodAsNew1.jpg

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Exxxxcellent! Now get over here and clay my roadster!