Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

OK to use Mini Oil 5w-30 Qt ?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by ronaries, Nov 19, 2008.

ronaries guest

Hi - my first post! I've a 2004 330ci , 38k miles, purchased in Feb. 08. I had oil changed to BMW brand synthetic 5w-30 oil (imported Germany, from Bimmerworld, I think) in April. Recently I used my last qt of it and went to my local dealer, MidWestern BMW (Dublin OH). The only comparable oil carried in qts by the parts dept there was Mini synthetic 5w-30. The Parts people assured me it is the same oil and no harm using it in my vehicle.

Is their information reliable and true? Or, should I exchange this oil for only the BMW oil? I noticed a Mini page posting that said one should change the entire oil ASAP if mixing these mini and BMW oil - which sounds a bit drastic to me...I've still got 2500 miles before due an oil change (MidOhio track burned some oil earlier!)

Please help as I'd like to keep this car in great shape!

BMWguy206 guest

Yes it's the same thing. Just a different bottle. Same thing goes with the coolant.

az3579

Oil is oil. I don't see how 5w-30 with a BMW label would possibly be different than a different car manufacturer's labeled 5w-30. Same goes with all other ratings; if it's motor oil, it can be used on whatever car model you have.

But if I'm wrong, then I'll simply be floored by it.

bradley01 guest

Everything that I have read...and i've done a lot of reading on this subject...says to go with the Castrol European Formula 0W-30 MADE IN GERMANY. This is the same formula that BMW uses in their oil...and some have said that BMW contracts with Castrol to make their oil. There is also a difference in formulas and standards between US synthetics and European synthetics. Something about pure synthetic (German) vs hydrocracked something-or-other (US). I will try and find all of the information that I am referring to if someone wants (or objects :p)

I have always used the German Castrol European Formula. I get it at AutoZone and it is not that expensive. Just look on the back of the bottles to make sure it says "Made in Germany".

Happy Motoring!
    Glendon

BMWguy206 guest

Or look for the BMW Longlife Rating which will say something like "BMW LL-01 or LL-04"

Kind of interesting that the BMW oil bottles don't have BMW LL-01 but the European Formula's do like the Castrol or Mobil 1.