Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil Pump Replacement E30

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mmfiel, Jan 23, 2009.

mmfiel guest

Hi,

New member with a question. I recently installed VDO gauges (oil pressure and Volt) in my 89 325i. Dash light (idiot light) starting coming on, apparently the new sensor is more senstive then stock because when I ran a manual oil pressure test I only have 4 pounds of pressure (at idle, when engine is warm). My first guess is an oil pump issue, but it apparently is a HUGE process (remove front steering assembly, etc etc). Any one have an idea of how difficult all this is? I am just a little above average "shade tree" mechanic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It is a pain for sure. Jack up car or put on ramps. Remove motor mount nuts (removing all of them top and bottom makes things a little easier IF you can get to them.) Remove oil pan bolts (IIRC there are 4 torx bolts that go through the bell housing as well.) Jack motor up or hoist motor up to gain clearance. Lower oil pan and remove oil pump bolts. Drop oil pump into oil pan. Remove whole assembly. You must have a good way to support the motor when you do this or you simply cannot do it. When putting everything back together, you need to be able to pry the motor around the engine compartment to line up the mounts.
    What type/weight of oil do you use?

mmfiel guest

Oil Pump replacement

Been using NAPA brand 10/w40. Been thinking of going to a synthetic...but don't know if that is a good move.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I've not had a problem with synthetic oil in mine, but then again I don't have an oil pressure gauge. I would recommend using a real oil instead of that NAPA crap.

mmfiel guest

Oil Pump Replacement

Oil recommendations? Brand/Weight? I have 175,000 miles on my E30

mac townsend guest

I use Castrol GTX 20W50 with a half bottle of Red Line ZDDP additive (engine break in supplement) in my 84 325e (M20 eta) about 240,000 miles. Valvoline VR1 20W50 would work too.

I have tried 10-40 ion my MGB in winter but find it runs too low on oil pressure. And since it almost never gets below high 20s here even in a real cold snap, I stay with 20-50.