Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil Leak Only When Car is On 87 BMW 325

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Rami912, May 9, 2008.

Rami912 guest

Hello,

I am test driving a car I might buy and I have noticed a slow oil leak only when the car is on? I have just recently found out and I still did not take it in. Any idea what it could be?:confused:

az3579

Where is the oil leaking from? Oil pan?

Rami912 guest

I didnt get the chance to lift the car however its"below the engine a little bit to the right side" towards the passenger side. The person I am buying the car from said he changed the oil pan about a month ago.

az3579

Well I asked because it's possible that he just didn't tighten the oil nut properly. I did my oil change a week or two ago and it was leaking from the nut, so I tightened it a bit more and voila, no more leak. You should get that checked out before you consider buying the car. Before I bought mine, I saw a prospective 325e that I could have bought cheap, but there were oil leaks galore and I'm glad I didn't buy it because I had someone look over it and backed away slowly.

E30 Cabrio guest

Oil Pressure Switch is the likely culprit as those tend to leak on these cars.

My service records indicate that my OPS has been replace 2x by the PO's in a period of 7 years.

[IMG]