Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil for '09 Diesels

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by listerone, Aug 22, 2009.

listerone guest

Does anyone know if the new diesels (335/X5) come from the factory with any kind of special "break-in" oil? I'm considering doing my first oil change early (at about 4K miles) but won't if it did.

TIA!

cberry

The as delivered oil is high quality synthetic, I believe. There is no requirement to change it any earlier than at the regularly scheduled interval, as determined by the on board computer.

I used to feel strongly that it was important to get that original oil changed early. But, having had 3 new vehicles since 1999, all with just adhering to the manufacturer's schedule, I've had no problem. The longest run one was my 99 E300 diesel at 165,000 miles when I sold it to buy my new 335d.

listerone guest

So it sounds like it's not a "break-in" oil.My attitude is that with all the $$$ I paid for this beast the least I can do is an oil/filter change twice as often as is required.That attitude stems partially from the fact that my driving situation is hard on the typical engine (lots of cold weather and stop-and-go driving).

BTW,how do you like your new ride? I love mine.Power to spare (boy,*that's* an understatement) and 40+ MPG on the highway.I just wish that the interior wasn't quite as "snug" (I'm a pretty big fella).I'm not crazy about the run flat tires either,but.....

az3579

Why do I not hear any mention of the slushbox tranny?

BIMMIR guest

Yea, what's likely next - dipstick conversation??

You'll find there is as many opinions about oil changes as there are responses to your post. In the end, it is your car and your comfort! Many let it rip with CBS, likley 15 to 18,000 miles, many do a 1,200 to 1,500 break in oil change, many 5,000, and many, like myself, do BMW 5/30 oil and oil filter at 7,500 intervals.
    Often decisions seem to fall around how long people intend to plan to keep their car.

Good luck, enjoy your car and whatever you are comfortable doing will be just fine for you.

listerone guest

Unlike most folks here,I'm not a car "enthusiast".This is my first BMW and it's the nearest thing I've ever owned to a "performance car" (I almost bought a Plymouth SuperBee in '69).To me,life's too short for stick shifts (I'm an old geezer).I know that most here are reading this and banging their heads against the table but that's what works best for me.

I've heard it said that BMW offers this diesel only with an automatic because there's not a stick shift made that can handle all its torque,but the experts here would know better than I.

az3579

I need to stop starting trouble. :D

listerone guest

I don't think you were starting trouble.I know that you're not the only one who's disappointed by BMW's failure to offer this with a stick.It's just that I'm an "automatic" kind of guy even though it makes for less excitement,etc.Excitement is bad for my ticker.I'm a believer in "serene". :)

386530 guest

Aloha from Sunny Germany !

Gents,

I have just hit 3K on the new 335d while crossing GrossGlockner this morning. I was using my paddle-shifted sport slush box to shift, because I wanted to get lower rpms to see the torque work against the 'hill'. Range was 2.2k - 1.5k.

and I am going to have the oil changed tomorrow. As soon as I figure out if it is supposed to be 0-40 or 5-40 Castrol/BMW synthetic.

My first diesel car, first BMW, and first High Performance vehicle also.

Hope that that will settle any arguments.

or not.

By the way, did anyone know that gasolio is really diesel in Italy? And they also have a BluTech diesel at AGIP ? Couldn't get a clear answer about what the difference is.... It didn't taste like olive oil, though.

And German diesel is max 7.5% bio-diesel (more than the BMW recommended max 5%).

And my wife shot the HD video going down hill from the 'peak' to the very bottom. Can't wait to see it after I pry the camera from her hands. I guess it was a little intense looking through that eyepiece thing all the way. She never blinked, I guess.

Cheers.