Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

"Normal" roughness is horse pucky..

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by alstroberg, Apr 6, 2011.

alstroberg guest

While at the dealer today for service on my 2010 E64 I mentioned a roughness or jerky behavior when driving away from a cold start.
    My SA promptly replied this is "normal" and they all do it, larger displacement engines are the worst. All BMWs with either auto or manual trans display this- making it normal.

Declaring a fault "normal" somehow makes this OK? None of my other four (not BMW) vehicles ever exhibit this jerkiness which in any other situation could be fixed with just a little more "choke" equivalent. How come the vaunted engineers can not figure how to smooth the running of a $100k car?
    Is there an easy fix?

ForcedInduction guest

This isn't s defect, it's a "feature" according to companies like Microsoft...

If there is another dealer locally, you may try them or contact BMW NA as many SA's are technically challenged IME.

eam3

I'm not sure but I think the Dinan programming does help. When my brother-in-law had his 650i, he got a few Dinan upgrades and it made a significant difference. He was very happy with the result.

Our E60 535i was like that too, very jerky on start. I drove others and they were exactly the same so I'm not sure why BMW has not corrected this.

cwbiii guest

all act differently when cold...

All of mine have had somewhat different operation when cold vs warm.
    There is more oomph available from the pedal when cold... but this is the worst time
    to access it if you want your car to last... so I take it easy for the first couple miles.
    The automatic transmission also acts differently when cold... usually it retards shifting to help the engine warm up. These are all designed in features and therefore normal.
    If they persist after more than a few minutes then they need to be checked.

Chuck