Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

No Vintage or Historical Insurance at Liberty

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by TeamStowell, Jan 26, 2009.

TeamStowell We love driving!

I must be getting on in years.... I find myself less patient with seemingly "no brainer" situations that don't go my way!

I have been using Liberty Insurance for the last year because the special BMW program rates were very competitive and it provided some interesting benefits. On January 1st, our 1983 635 turned 25 years old, and I am able to use my historical original plates on it if I get historical or vintage designated on the insurance card. I stop by my Liberty agent, and she tells me they will not provide anything other than the regular insurance for the old guy. I reminded her that they are the insurer of choice for the Club, so what about all the older cars we have to insure? I assured her it would be used only for club activities as per the NY State Vintage Registration regulations, and would not have a lot of milage added each year. This apparently did not matter. They can not help me.

Is this a NY thing? Doesn't anyone using the Liberty Program have an older car on their policy?

I don't mind going to another insurer, it just seems insane that they have this relationship with the club but can't accomodate this group of vehicles.

John in VA

Vote with your feet. Check Hagerty, Grundy or American Collector for their rates & coverage. I have my tii insured with Hagerty, but thankfully have no experience with making a claim.

granthr

Here in PA you can get a "Classic" licence plate at 15 years and "Antique" at 25 years. The state will issue these without any regard to what your insurer thinks or views. I have a classic plate on my M3 and both my M3 and 318i are listed as used less than 7,500 miles a year and that gives me a break on insurance. I use State Farm and have been very happy with them. I have used them for 16 years, every since I was 16. So do the math and you know how old I am! :D Now I have been fortuanate and have only ever had one claim with them a long time ago. They have been great to work with and would recommend them to anybody.

Autohaus guest

Hmmm. Can I get the reduced rates on my E28? I have a garage now but the car is only 22+ years old.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Thank you for the advice. I have a quote ready to go with Grundy for the 1983, and I will end up changing at least the one car if not all of them. I have run the numbers with all the major companies and it looks like Geico is the cheapest at this point for the other two, but I will see what Liberty can counter with.

No old car love from Allstate, State Farm, Geico or Progressive.