Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

new thrust arms/99 528i

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 04Grayracer, Oct 8, 2008.

04Grayracer rs racer some day

99 528i with 95k miles need new thrust arms or should i just replace the bushings?
    just put on new bilstiens and stabilizer links is thrust rods that hard to do or do i need special tools. would like to keep it another year.

wve28

I'd go ahead and replace the whole arm because your ball joints are probably quite worn as well. Just make sure to go with an OE brand like Lemeforder (sp?).

I found them not too difficult to replace. Mainly lots of plastic pieces to move out of the way. Removing the ball joint is the most difficult part, so make sure you have a proper tool for the job. And be sure to preload before you tighten at the bushing.

No special tools needed except something to get the ball joint loose with. There's not enough clearance behind the ball joint to use a pickle fork or a puller-type tool.

Good luck.

01silber guest

If you plan to keep the car I would go ahead and replace the entire arm with bushing.