Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by kadl7124, Mar 11, 2013.

kadl7124

Hi, I am David and obviously new to this club as I am also new to Bimmers. Here is my BMW story..

Last year I bought my first boat, a 1983 Glas-Ply that had a different motor and out drive than typical, but one I remember seeing in my youth during the 80's boating at our family's beach cabin on Camano Island. This boat was powered by a BMW B220, basically a marinized 3.3L M30 attached to a BMW out drive proudly sporting the roundel. Needless to say I bought it from the original owner's son complete with service records.

After learning about how durable BMW engines have been through history, I sought a BMW car for commuting, I also drive a Ford F150 gas guzzler and was already in the market for a small car. I found a 1999 323i complete with all required service records from date of purchase to right before I acquired it. I bought this car from the original owner as well. This fellow purchased it on the European delivery program.

My impression is these are fantastic machines and I hope to learn more about them here and talk with some great people who share my appreciation.

Cheers!

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & the forums! BMW marine engines are not something I recall hearing much about over the years, sounds unique!

kadl7124

BMW was in the marine Biz up until the end of the 80's. Evidently the auto market took a downturn for them and they decided to dump the marine side and focus on cars and motorcycles. It is too bad because they had a good solid product. They do still work with Yanmar and provide marine diesel motors to mate up with Yanmar stern drives.

CRKrieger

You're going to find that M30 is more durable - and easier to work on - than your M52TU ...

kadl7124

Yeah, it is all right there, open and basic like an old Ford. Durability, everything I read about these motors is just that. The engine is 30 years old, leaks nothing, starts up and runs with turbine like precision. Good stuff
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

Welcome to the club!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the asylum! I see you've already met some of our colorful inmates—uh, enthusiasts!

kadl7124

Thanks. IMG_1044.JPG
    Here is the sterndrive.

kadl7124

325.jpg

This is the BMW B220 (Marinized M30 3.3L

CRKrieger

OMG; it's carbureted? :eek:

kadl7124

Yes with a Pierburg (Solex) 4A1 4bl carb.

kadl7124

The photo of the sterndrive is from my boat. I am using a good photo of a B220 (m30) engine I found until I get a goid photo of mine.