Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New member with question on 19X5 40i Battery

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by carrerac2, Jan 20, 2020.

carrerac2

Hi everyone. I have two 19 models. The X5 I bought last year and I just bought a 2019 Z4 sdrivve30i. The latter I bought after looking at various sport convertible models. Settled on the Z4 as the January price was good and I like all of its features. Previously owned a 14 Boxster S and 17 911 Carrera. I'm a senior who has been a bit car crazy. Not totally comfortable with the local bmw dealer and service people. Was spoiled by Porsche. I think the local dealer is volume oriented as opposed to customer oriented. Hopefully things will improve. This makes the 3rd bmw car along with 6 bmw motorcycles I've owned. Getting short on time now though. No more bikes. Lucky to have avoided accidents. Not so with some of my compatriots. Question re X5 battery. Its nearly impossible to access. In using a trickle charger is the battery AGM? The owners manual is not helpful and I won't tell you what the service people have told me. Can't find answer on google. Help anyone??? Oh, I live in Denver CO area.

charlson89

Congrats on two very nice rides! To make it simple the x5 has multiple batteries. One large arm in the back and a smaller battery under the hood that can be a AGM or lithium ion battery. I recommend on these set ups to hook up the trickle charger to the jump posts under the hood and set it to agm since the lithium battery has a built in module and turn off current flow to itself if need be.