Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

new member in the CT Valley Chapter.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by matthewmads, Aug 6, 2012.

hello all im matt, 23 and totally in love with bmw. growing up my parents had 80's 5's and my first car was and still is the 93 525 wagon i drive today. its only got 265,000 miles!!! im hoping to make 300 but the automatic transmission is starting to slip pretty badly at times, (i have every receipt for every service this car has received and nowhere in there does it say anything about a transmission flush and filter, they weren't kidding about it being "lifetime"). if anyone has an e34 parts car with a standard transmission in it i would love to take it off your hands! im also looking into an e39 525 wagon that burns about a quart of oil every 300 miles. has anyone encountered this problem with an m54b25 motor before? i should add that it's a standard transmission which ive been trying to acquire for some time now. any suggestions as to performance parts that can be added while the motor is torn down as im assuming it will need valve guides or new rings or something absurd like that?

If you have to pull the cylinder head, then I suppose camshafts, headers, and an intake are an option, possibly even larger fuel injectors. Keep in mind to realize the maximum potential of any such modifications will require at least some sort of chip/ecu upgrade, or custom tuning. If you get into the bottom end, you can consider whether it's worth the expense and effort to increase displacement in some fashion or another - expect that to be expensive, unless you're a pro machinist and engine builder with the tools, experience, and knowledge. Likewise, that would also need tuning to be optimized.

Might be worthwhile to email Mike Miller and ask his recommendation on the auto transmission issue, and also any thoughts on the oil leak.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh! Welcome to the asylum! Don't bother asking Doctor Mikey about an automatic---I know what his answer will be!!

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Hey, Matt, nice car!

Sound like you may have some heavy maintenance coming up soon, but don't dispair, any BMW touring, especially a manually shifted one, is a rare and fine thing!