Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New member, grinning a lot

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by AussieDriver, Aug 24, 2009.

AussieDriver guest

Hello everyone,

The grin comes from our 1998 bright red Z3 M Roadster (S52 engine, 87,000 miles) sitting out on the front lawn, here in Garrett Park (about 10 miles north of Washington DC). If this is part of a mid-life crisis, well then, I hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as do I!!

And boy, have I quickly learned what a platform for conversation this vehicle is going to be.

With first heavy rains, we've already discovered 2 issues requiring attention (leaking, but a new roof came with the car and is awaiting my attention), and we also have a wiper arm striking the edge of the hood during it's arc.

I will be at Oktoberfest 2009 (still mulling over which days to attend) and I look forward to making new friends there, along with learning much more about this gorgeous car.

All the best.

Grant.

CRKrieger

Stop mulling. Go for the week. You know you want to.

az3579

+1!!! I really want to but can't afford to take a week off (no paid vacation :()...

Go if you can!
    And welcome to the obsession! :D

lcjhnsn

It may be a little late to sign up, but the ZSCCA is holding Z 'Fest in Cincinnati Ohio over Labor Day weekend. There will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 Z's there.

In any case... welcome to the fold. I hope you enjoy your Z as much as I do!!

pseto

welcome. i have the same car, but mine is a 2000 Silver M Roady. Hope to see you at some of our local events (and we have a bunch)!!!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the asylum!

I'm so glad I'm not the only geezer in crisis! The Z4 is currently waiting for Oktoberfest. . . about 2,500 miles from its garage! The only way to work the logistics this year was to drive it to Memphis and stash it with Mark Jon Calabrese, which we did last week.

I have to admit that due to the rain, we had the top up for most of the final leg from Oklahoma City to Elvisville.

Which days for O'Fest? Well, you HAVE to see the cars at the concours, nicht wahr? And the gymkhana is always a hoot when we get to use BMW's cars to play with! I'm personally a TSD rally junkie, so I can't miss that, and the final awards banquet is the high point of the week for many of us. Oh, and Kelly will be autocrossing the roadster, so it pretty much turns into a full week for us!

In any event, I know you'll have a great time, especially if this is your first time in the barrel.

Satch

AussieDriver guest

Oktoberfest, other events

Wow, thank you all for the input! Much to consider.

I have to tell you, as a newcomer, and especially if you've never attended anything resembling Oktoberfest, its a bit perplexing navigating the event and finding a starting point (complications were compounded slightly by me not being able to post to the forums for the first month, but that got resolved).

I've visited the Oktoberfest site a few times already, but will need to go back, and possibly take some notes - there's just so many events to consider.

Here is a newbie question - Wednesday September 30th looks like a big day, but if you want to attend Car Control Clinic, that will necessarily take out the whole day by itself, is that right? (meaning you'll miss only opportunities for Gymkhana, Plant tour, and TSD rally.) Am I reading the schedule correctly? I can see why there's an orientation for newcomers - this is a lot to process!

Grant.