Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New member from Colorado

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by robfreedman3850, May 12, 2013.

robfreedman3850

I live and work in the Boulder, CO area. Just ordered a 335i xDrive for Performance Center delivery. Probably 6-8 weeks out.

I have a question for those who have gone before! I am still debating whether to go with 18" wheels and all season tires, 19" with performance tires, or perhaps both ( and change them out season to season). Anybody else faced this question? How did you decide? Any recommendations?

I am looking forward to receiving my first BMW, learning about the car, and meeting other folks interested in BMW.

Regards,
    Rob

floydarogers

Pretty every one here will tell you that all-season tires are really NO-Season tires. Having a summer and winter set is IMO the only way to go, even on an awd car.

19" tires are really prone to bulges and rough ride, btw. 18" better.
    robfreedman3850 likes this.

robfreedman3850

From reading the various posts, I am gathering that the 19s can be problematic. I think I will sitck with the 18" all seasons with the same set up on all 4 corners.

robfreedman3850

Sounds like great advice. It looks like the car comes from the factory with either all seasons, or summer performance tires. No option for winter tires. So the suggestion is, take the 18" summer tires, then get another set of rims and snow tires for the winter season.

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & forums, congrats on the new bimmer! Same suggestion as above - get a separate set of wheels with snow tires mounted, and just swap 'em for winter (particularly in Colorado). You'll need tire pressure monitors too for the extra set, unless you want to stare at the warning all the time, or there's a bypass module from Turner Motorsport, but you have to install it yourself - might want to wait until the original warranty is out before considering that. If you don't opt for runflat snows, think about your options in case of a flat (no spare tires anymore).

All-seasons... maybe, depends on your preference - if you will drive the car in a spirited fashion from time-to-time, you may appreciate higher performance tires more than the all-seasons, although you'll likely have to swap on the snows sooner in the fall. 18" rims, yes.

charlson89

Congrats on the new car and have fun with the delivery!

robfreedman3850

I ordered the 18's. Apparently they only come with the "NO Season" tires. I will get some run-flat snows for the winter season, and perhaps replace the "NO Season" tires with some other performance tires next summer. I know, throwing away good rubber, but...Choices are pretty limited for run-flats in either kind of tire. On the other hand, I have been driving around for probably two decades with various spare tires and have never used one. But you know how Murphy's Law works...

robfreedman3850

Thanks, charlson...Looking forward to learning the car and getting engaged with CCA...

robfreedman3850

Good advice--I got 18's in the order. It seems that the 18" non-staggered wheels only come with NO Season tires. When they wear out I will replace with some performance tires; also planning to get some dedicated run-flat snows and rims. Tire Rack looks like a good place to do some research. Lots of videos of bimmers with different tire setups in snow and ice.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

My one caveat is that in Colorado, you can get caught out in unexpected weather changes. Some of the UHP all-season tires out there now, like the Goodyear asymmetric, are not bad in the dry, terrific in the wet, and acceptable if you tiptoe through a light snowfall. I could live with them—and I would, if I didn't live where ultimate summer-only tires make sense.

robfreedman3850

True enough. You have to keep an eye on the weather around here, especially in the transition seasons. Also, since I drive to the mountains regularly all year, the transition occurs about 4 weeks earlier and 4 weeks later than in the front range cities like Boulder. If I have performance tires, then I will probably have to put the snows on earlier and take them off later than I would with all season tires. I will see how it goes this first year and adjust my thinking if I have to.

Appreciate all the thoughtful and helpful replies.