Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New member and ecstatic new BMW owner from Lancaster, CA

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by krwalsh, Nov 28, 2011.

krwalsh

Hello CCA! When a friend/co-worker (who's been driving BMW's for years) heard I was buying my 1st BMW he told me to join the CCA. Last Tuesday (11/22) I joined the CCA then that night picked up my new '11 335d from Valencia BMW. It's sapphire black with oyster/black interior; sport package; premium package; navigation, w/ BMW assist, enhanced BT & USB; heated front seats; sat radio; ipod & USB adapter; and fold-down rear seats (for my bicycle). I've been driving Hondas for 30 years - this 335d is incredible! I can't believe I'm driving this car!

I'm currently looking for some advice. This is also my 1st lease. I've always owned my cars. I did some research on leasing and thought I was prepared for the finance person. As of now, my BMW experience has been tainted because the finance person "scared" me into buying the "Tire and Wheel" protection package and the "Appearance" package. For Hondas I never considered buying any protection package. The finance person told me how much the tires and wheels cost and the potential costs at the end of the lease period. He said these packages will protect my investment. I got caught up in his logic and bought these packages against my better judgement. Sure enough, when I talked with my insurance company, I am protected with a $500 deductible. I called the finance person back to cancel these protection packages and he told me I couldn't cancel the "Appearance" package. He could cancel the "Tire and Wheel protection" package but my lease payment would remain the same (as if I still had the package) until the last 2 months of the 3-year lease - when I wouldn't have a lease payment. I've never heard of such a thing before.

Is this legitimate or am I being taken "for a ride"?

Thanks much,
    Kevin Walsh

MGarrison

Hey Kevin - welcome to the club & congrats on both your new, & first, BMW! Love the diesel! Forum participation, at the moment, is a bit thin, there was a new website & forums switchover earlier this year, and the first version of the new forums were not well received (the current msg. board is wayyy better), but the net result of the switchover was that participation dropped off and it's going to take awhile to build back an active user base.

I mention all that because I don't know if you'll get an informed response. You might check the club contacts, perhaps the ombudsman, there may be someone who's designated to offer some insight into an issue such as yours.

I have zip experience with leasing, although I would figure it's a bit difficult to change the lease contract terms much, after delivery. If your lease payment isn't any less, doesn't sound like there's any point in cancelling the protection package, even if you have insurance coverage. I don't know if what you're being told is copascetic or not, although I wouldn't be surprised to hear anything, there is probably an infinite variability of lease contracts/additions/modifications.

Only comment I can offer on leases is to watch your mileage so you're not over by the end of the lease term - check your contract, the over-mileage charge could rack up quickly when you get to that point.

I hope you can find a better-informed answer, and otherwise, enjoy your new car as much as possible!

krwalsh

Hi MGarrison - Thanks much for the reply. That explains the lack of recent forum participation. I'll look into finding local club contacts. I'm not worried about the mileage (10k per year). Even though I have a 70 mile round trip to work, I commute more by bicycle than car. I typically put about 9k per year on my car, 12k per year on my bicycle :). I sure will enjoy the car - it is incredibly fun to drive!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hi, Kevin! Welcome to the zoo!

If you send a note to my e-mail address—satch AT satch DOT us—I'll forward it to Michael Bird. He wrote a piece about leasing for Roundel a few months ago that made some things clear to me that had been waaaay confusing, so perhaps he has some insight.

You have a fantastic car, especially when accelerating from, say, 100 to 120 mph (it was legal! I was on the Autobahn, I swear!). But what the hell is an Appearance Package?