Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Coupe for next year

Discussion in 'BMW' started by gotmilk?, Dec 6, 2012.

gotmilk?

I like the looks of a coupe but think the 3-series coupe would be a good platform for the 2.0 L four. I asked my local dealer if that would happen. Here's what I was told. The coupe will get a redesign for next year, with the 2.0. It may be available next August and be called the 2-series. Has anyone heard anything different? Any comments?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

The two-door "coupe" version of the F30 will be called a 4 Series. The two-door "coupe" version of the 1 Series will [most likely] be the 2 Series. The N20 four-banger engine will be available up and down the line, along with the N55 turbo six.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

BMW is separating the Coupe and Convertible from the 3 Series and creating the 4 Series, much like the distinction between the 5 series (Sedan and Touring) and the 6 Series (Coupe and Convertible). The same thing will happen with the 1 Series and the 2 Series. This also gives them the ability to make the 4 Series a little more sportier and upscale than the 3 Series while charging even more money for it. May people think that they are mimicking the Audi model lineup, except that Audi's numbering scheme is the opposite, with even-numbered models being 4 door sedans and wagons and the odd-numbered models 2-door coupes and convertibles. This will supposedly allow BMW to compete model-to-model with Audi, 3 Series Sedan = A4, 4 Series Coupe = A5. Likewise up and down the line.

The best web-based, non-Roundel source for all things BMW, including lots of speculation about new models, new engines, lots of spy photos, and one of the earliest confirmations as to what is actually coming, is BMWBLOG. They've been talking about the new 4 Series and showing spy photos for most of this year and probably part of last year.

As for the new 4 Series, BMW has already unveiled pictures of the Concept 4 Series, which will debut at the North America International Auto Show in Detroit next month. It's a concept car, but probably pretty close to what the production model will look like. The production 4 Series Coupe will probably debut at a European auto show sometime in March or later in the spring. The 4 Series Coupe will probably be released at the beginning of July as a 2014 model. The 4 Series Convertible will probably follow later in the year or early next year.

Along these lines, the new F3x-based M car will be the F80 M3, the F82 M4 Coupe, and the F83 M4 Convertible. We probably won't see the new M3 until at least July 2014 and the M4 in July 2015.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, what he said!

:D