Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Convertibles - 335i vs M3

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by tcoke, Jul 14, 2010.

tcoke

Facing a delima here. My wife wants a new 3 series convertible and as they say, a happy wife means a happy life! I have a 2009 335i sedan and absolutely love it (and so does she). The delima is we are pricing out two cars, first a 335i convertible pretty well loaded for a sticker of around $62K and an M3 convertible, again fairly well loaded (with exception to the dual clutch transmission, she wants the standard six speed manual transmission instead) for around $76K, if I recall correctly. Honestly she would be happy with either one. The question that we face: is the M3 convertible worth the extra $14K? Trying to think about it from all aspects, such as future resale value, reliability of the V8 versus the turbo charged in-line six, and of course, the "fun" factor. Granted she will be the primary driver but hopefully I can sneak it out a few times! Whichever one we choose, she is very interested in doing the European Delivery program which I have heard is a great experience.

So is it 335 or M3, that is the question?

tcoke

One other clarifying point, neither one of us have test driven the M3, only the 335i convertible.

Zeichen311

Well, that settles it: You MUST test-drive the M3. Only then will anything else we can tell you make any sense. :D

The 335i is a wonderful machine but an M is a completely different animal. On paper they seem close enough siblings to prompt the "is it worth $X more?" question. The driving experience is very different: the performance, the responses, the sounds, the feedback.

Trust me, don't even try to decide until you've driven both. You can't argue the rational points with yourself without a solid irrational counterpoint. ;)

tcoke

Very true! The local dealer has three new M3 convertibles on their lot so what the heck, we'll go this weekend for a test drive of both. I'm excited about opportunity to drive an "M" vehicle as I have never had the pleasure in the past! The only drawback is that I may never want to go back to driving my 335i sedan again, although it is incredibly fun to drive.