Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need the name of M5 wheels

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 190796, Jan 16, 2009.

I want to put E39 M5 wheels on my 528i Sport Pkg car. It is a 1999. What is the name of the original wheels used on E39 M5s. I always thought they were called Throwing Stars but that doesn't turn up good reslts in the net.

Also, is there any reason I can't emulate the staggered set up used on the M5s? My Sport Pkg appears to have the same height and fender dimensions. Any thoughts? Better yet, anybody want to sell a set with or without rubber?

Scott Graham
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Throwing stars were used on the E34 M5 (acutally, the wheels were forged 5 spokes and the throwing stars were magnesium covers, with the alternative being the turbine covers.)
    Go to realoem.com to look up the part numbers for the wheels you seek. It will give a style number for the wheels as well. Does your car have the 2 piece basketweaves? If so, let me know if you are selling them. Anyhow, I could jsut come out and tell you what they are, but I think you should familiarize yourself with the BMW parts catalog. It is really helpful when going to the dealer for a part to have the number instead of saying "that part that goes there under the thing."

Thanks as always Paul. I am always looking to add more knowledge about most all topics so going to realoem.com is great. I am keeping my basket weaves for winter. i mounted a set of 17" low profile Blizzak LM25s and boy, what a great snow machine. I play with turning the DSC off and with the snows i can get a nice predictable drift going when there aren't any other cars around.

You're the best! Scott

mooseheadm5

Well when you come to your senses and mount cheap 16s for winter, let me know. I know a guy looking for those basketweaves for his M6.
    Glad I could help

You know, on my last E39, which was a sedan basically identical to my current wagon, I had steel 16s with higher profile Blizzaks and the handling of the car deteriorated so much on dry pavement that I thought I'd try this approach. I am pleased that I did, the snow power isn't quite as good but the dry handling more than makes up for it. Different strokes, right?

Next mission is hopping up the handling and engine a little bit. It will be expensive so I have to go one step at a time.

mooseheadm5

The "mount on cheap wheels" thing is more for when things get out of hand and you nail something in the road. The steels are much cheaper to deal with than the basketweaves if they bend. You are probably used to bed weather driving up there, but here, everyone else is trying to kill you and things can get out of hand just trying to avoid the stupids. Also, we rarely need snows here, whereas I guess you would use them all winter. I guess with advanced traction control, that narrow tires are not as necessary to get what you want in the snow, and the dry handling penalty is not worth it. Maybe get some cheaper 17s? Those basketweaves are desireable, and I hate to see them used as snows.

ViolinARC guest

Link to BMW wheel styles...

First of all, I believe we need to know what year M5 wheels you're asking about because there are a few style wheels used over the years and they have some similar features.

Below is a link to the pictures and "Style" names associated with BMW wheels. For example, the wheels on my 2000 540i are called "Style 32's" so there is a "Style" and number associated with the ones you're trying to find as well (I think my Bro has the "Style 65's" on his 1998 540, which are the same as the e39 M5's). Hope you find this helpful...

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

EDIT: I have the staggered setup on my 540iA Sport so you should be able to do the same thing depending on year. The main differences on our cars are the steering and engine so I do believe that we can interchange wheels and some other suspension components without modification. Oh yeah, remember that as cool as the staggered setup looks (I LOVE mine), you can't rotate your tires (I know...BMW doesn't recommend rotating our tires) so your treadwear will suffer as a result. Just FYI...

185727 guest

Style 65's are the ones on 2000 to 2003 U.S. E39 M5's and will fit any E39 5 series. They are staggered 8" front, 9.5" rears. I just listed a pair of rears for sale but I'd probably throw in the front pair which have Mich PS-2's mounted and maybe 50-60% tread left, I'd throw these in for shipping as I didn't intend to sell them as I didn't think there was any market for them and I intended to someday put them back on the front and sell the 9.5's I bought for the front (well, I ended up buying another pair of new 9.5"er's for the rear a few months later so all had a nice new look and I don't think I'll ever sell this car...........). The rears have no rubber and probably should be refinished but there not bad, one has a couple of dings and the other a ding and a fbit of flaking from a cheapie on the car refinish I had done a few years ago that rubbed off at one point having the rubber replaced.

I'm looking for $550 plus shipping, let me know and I'll email or post some pics of them.

BK

ps. I think throwing stars might have been a term given to the E34 M5 OE rims.

ViolinARC guest