Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need some help please!

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Pr0d1g1, Aug 27, 2008.

Pr0d1g1 guest

First off, I want to thank anyone in advance for their help, secondly please realize im super new to BMW's and I may sound illiterate at times, because I am. But as far as my mechanical skill it is very proficient, considering I am only 20 and no one has ever taught me anything about cars. Now the problem:

Car: (1992) 325i 4dr. The newer style body with the M50.

Problem: Car will not start (Fuel pump doesn't even turn on when key is on)

How it started: My car was running fine at first, kinda rough at times the acceleration was a little unstable. I figured it was some sort of clog in the fuel system, so i tried cleaning it with Lucas Injector Cleaner. It was working better when I drove it home parked it and it didn't work the next day (wouldn't fire.) "thanks moosehead"

Things i've tried:
    I sprayed starting fluid in intake and car started up fine so i jumped to the conclusion of my fuel system. I changed the Fuel pump, Fuel filter, Fuel pump relay. Still nothing... I tried using the Peake Research scanner tool, but i keep getting a fault that says it cant read the fault codes (irony at its best)... So im stuck now. I heard that it could be some sensors like the Crankshaft and Crankcase position sensors? But I live in Hawaii so its hard to get parts so i'd rather just order everything it could be at once... ANY IDEAS?!?!?

chll69 guest

hey man welcome to the forums first off. Im also 20 and my first car was a 1992 4 dr 325i. I had the same problem you are currently having. I replaced all the fuel components just like you and i also replaced the sensors you mentioned and the spark plugs and the coil packs that go over the spark plugs. After that the car started right up and never had that problem again. good luck
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That is replacing an awful lot of parts for a small problem. Starting fluid will not tell you if you have not fuel, it will only tell you if you have compression. Starting fluid is ether and does not require a spark to ignite Try spraying carburettor cleaner into the intake then starting it. If it runs on that, it is a fuel issue. Make sure you are using the correct terminology. Does not turn over means the engine literally does not move when you turn the key to the start position. Does not fire means the engine turns but does not ignite and try to run.

Pr0d1g1 guest

Hey thanks guyz... so i had to special order my Crankcase Sensor and i picked up the Camshaft Sensor today, I think i'm going to wait till I have them both before i install them so its a one shot deal. Should be here this coming Tuesday so I will let you know when I put the new ones on.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Try to start it on carb cleaner. If it won't start then you have no spark (and possibly no fuel) and you may be on the right track with the crank position sensor. If that goes bad, very often the computer will not know and won't set a code. If the crank sensor does not work you will have no fuel and no spark.

Pr0d1g1 guest

Ok, thanks again moosehead, its like 3am here so i will try it first thing in the morning... and get back to you, but the sensor has already been special ordered like i said so it will be here tuesday. I'll keep you updated and thanks for the help once again.