Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need door panels

Discussion in 'BMW' started by Chief2747, Feb 3, 2015.

Chief2747

I am bringing my 1996 e36 convertible's interior back to life. The driver's side door panel armrest has partially detached with some swelling. Any ideas about fixing or where to find a replacement?

MGarrison

Never had an E36, but best I recall, likelihood for successful repair is not necessarily high. I think the vinyl was like so many others - backed with an adhesive latex foam, and the latex foam degrades over time - trying to re-adhere it without removing the degraded latex backing 100% is a temporary repair at best. Even if you can get it all off it still might fail. I would hit up an automotive upholstery shop for the best appropriate adhesive, or maybe google "commercial auto upholstery adhesive" & see what comes up. Ebay might be a place for clean panels, but unless someone's completed a successful re-do, you're in the same spot w/ 15 yr old or older foam backing.
    Chief2747 likes this.

Chief2747

Thanks, I guess I'll take it to a trim shop and see what they can do. It's only one insert, the one with the door handle, and the adhesive has deteriorated. Maybe the trim shop can remove the adhesive and re-apply. Unfortunately they will probably have to take the whole panel apart.

nzb6jr

Last year about this time I bought a used 2010 528i from a local new car dealership (not a BMW dealer). It's been a great car and, despite having nearly 70k miles on the clock at the time I bought it, it still has some warranty left. And it's been a great car. It's my first BMW. Regardless my issue with the car is a rather minor offense. I live in S.E. Michigan and winters can be harsh and cold. The car, unfortunately, has to remain outside. Recently I drove up to my local gas station to fill the tank. I was surprised to discover that the push/pop gas cap door wouldn't open. It was frozen closed. I had sufficient fuel to drive home where I used a hair dryer to unfreeze the door to access the gas cap. What, besides simply never fully closing the gas doors while it's cold, can be done to keep the door from freezing shut? I'm open to ideas.

MGarrison

Not quite sure on the gas cap issue, try to keep it clean as possible and lubricate the spring-loaded part of the catch mechanism with something appropriate that won't freeze?