Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Nav, Sat, Voice Commands, USB Not Working

Discussion in 'F30 (2012-present)' started by jbrac0860, Oct 9, 2017.

jbrac0860 Take the long way home & enjoy the drive.

2016 328i X-Drive owner. Today, started car and after acknowledging the disclaimer using controller knob, “Starting Navigation” appeared on iDrive screen and would not go away. I could use controller knob and buttons, but all access to Sat Radio, phone, Navigation, etc ..., all disabled. Voice commands only worked for AM or FM radio stations. Car did recognize my phone but my contact list and music would not load. Got the car as CPO on 6/30/2017 with 11,000 miles. Bizarre problem. Have appt at dealer Tues AM. Very concerned — what could cause this almost complete loss of functionality???

Never mind. Dealer diagnosed the problem. New head unit needed. Glad it’s covered under warranty. Of course, I’ll now have to reset all my preferences all over again as if it were Day One once I get it back ....

The saga continues. The head unit arrived but the dealer could not complete the programming successfully. A PUMA case was opened, a Woodcliff Lake took over via remote access. It seemed to work. Now the dealer needs to load in all the navigation from scratch. I might get the car back late Monday — 5 business days in the shop. Ugh!

charlson89

Those head units are pain and causing BMW quite a headache as well. Why they don't just let you have the new map installed in the head unit for all the trouble is beyond me.

I should have reported that the problem got resolved. It took longer than expected, but the head unit required full reprogramming, and then my navigation maps had to be re-loaded. I lost most of my presets in iDrive, but with 10 minutes of fiddling I got them where I wanted them. It was a royal PITA. I don’t want to have to go through that again. It involved 5 full shop days for the problem to be diagnosed, the part ordered, the part installed, and the re-programming to be done.

MGarrison

You must be pretty handy with Idrive, I had a loaner X3 for a couple days and gave up trying to get all the available radio slots programmed! :D If it were my own car & more important, I would have done it all eventually though! ;)