Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

N00B

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by BlackFly, May 6, 2012.

BlackFly

Not new to CCA, but new to the Forums here. I currently own/drive an E90 DERV and am enjoying the experience. Now if we can just buy stove oil for less than UL Premium... I also spend more time on my R1200GS, yes, that's a BMW too.

A great service Satch. And thanks to members for the participation and input.

Fred

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Welcome to the group!

So, just guessing and as as UL Premium junkie with 10+ year-old cars, that DERV=Diesel something something something else... ?

If so, looking forward to reading about your experiences with it. Seems like an amazing engine.

BlackFly

Thanks Chris.

This is my first foray into the CCA formums and will be interesting to me, listening in on Bimmer speak, rather than Beemer speak. This forum has many similarities to the BMWMOA.com and advrider.com. You know, "What tires and oil to use?" :eek:

DERV=Diesel Engine Road Vehicle

This is a spectacular machine. Going from an E39 2002 530iA to the 2011 335D couldn't be more different. I now worship at the house of torque, and it has plenty.

I ordered mine on a custom build with Sport suspension, and opting for some, but not all of the premuim package. This is a driver's car.

I'm still trying to understand why BMW AG chooses to use Run-flat tires. What a stupid idea. What [were] they thinking? Is it 2:05 yet?

Fred

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I look forward to hearing what the six cylinder "D" sounds like. I am one of those people who can tell the cylinder count by the engine sound and engine sound is actually inordinately important to me as compared to most folks. Probably why I am so disapointed with BMW's migration to four-pots in pretty much everything.

Have you experienced any of the run-flat flats that all the car mags seem to have encountered? Or is it just the fact that RF's deprive us of another increment of self reliance in the name of convenience?

BlackFly

The RFTs are trash for several reasons. The ones I can think of are:

Weigh too much (heavy carcass); short tread life; expensive. My D has 21k on the clock and discounting the winter mounted Hakkapelittas, I figure the TL amounted to 13k and they're down to the bars and noisy. ( Sounds like a BMW motorcycle thread already!) hehehe.

So, its off to Tire Rack for some conventional Michelin Super Sports I guess.

FB

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the zoo---but I can't take credit for it, I just hang out here with the other inmates....

Look around before you go all-in for the Michelinos (he said mysteriously)...