Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

my windows and sun roof do not work...help

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 00BMW323CI, Oct 1, 2008.

00BMW323CI guest

i have a 92 318i and my windows and sunroof have stopped working. i have checked the fuses and relays and i even replaced the central locking system (bad idea, very expensive) i then checked the relay under the steering colum (it just hangs out beneath the dash) im not sure what it is called? but i took the cover off of that relay and closed the circuit on it by pushing the ends together and then the windows worked! am i going to have to do that everytime i want to open/close my windows? or is there a "simple" fix to my problem? im lost and not very good w/ electricals...please help!!!

XR4Tim328i guest

Can't you just replace that relay?

00BMW323CI guest

i did replace that relay, that is y i am still confused...could it be the ignition?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I think that is called the comfort relay, and yes they go bad and cause this problem. Sounds like your problem is deeper than that and that you need to pull up a wiring diagram and see where that relay gets power from. Could be the general module is bad. If you can wait a coulpe of days, I can look it up at the shop.

00BMW323CI guest

yes i can wait...Thank you very much!!! i don't think that this has anything to do w/ the windows but my power locks also stopped working 2 or 3 weeks before the windows...not really concered about power locks though, just thought if that was part of it that it would help diagnose my problem. i just want my windows to work!!! ha...thanks again!