Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My first diesel;

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by 95273, Mar 7, 2018.

I'm about to own my first diesel,a 2018 328d X Drive.Some questions:
    1] Does anyone use additives,primarily to keep injectors clean.If so,which ones.
    2] Any preference as far as fuel type?Is it alright to use bio-diesel.
    3] Has anyone experienced a problem with fuel gelling.I live in upstate New York,close to Montreal.At what temperature does gelling begin to become a problem.Thanks

MGarrison

I've only had my diesel pickup, so it's not exactly apples to apples. In any case, I've never used any additives in my pickup. Can't comment on bio-diesel for the bimmer, altho I'd be surprised if not. I usually use Shell & get a few cents off with their fuel-rewards program. I'm in S.W. Ohio, so not the kind of cold you get up there usually, but in cold temps (sub-zero), I've never had fuel-gelling be an issue. Typically my truck's parked in a warmed garage (heated might be an overstatemen) overnight when it gets coldest, but even if parked out for many hours in very cold, even sub-zero temps, I've never had a problem. Again, can't say how pertinent that is to your bimmer in your climate.

Congrats on the new ride, welcome to the club & forums!
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

First congrats on the new ride. BMW recommends not using additives in the diesel fuel system. Fuel gelling for BMW at least has not really been a issue. Your vehicle does have a electrical fuel heater that helps prevent this. I have yet to see any gelling here in Iowa on the diesels. BMW wants you to avoid BIO diesel, they only allow B5 at the limit.

floydarogers

Charlson answered all the questions! But ... I monitor many forums, gelling has not been a problem, even up in Toronto and points north. NY is a CA emissions state, with "better" diesel; there is absolutely no reason to use additives. I've never used them and neither have most owners. BMW says biodiesel up to 7%. My 335d has run it's entire life on B5, as has my wife's lower-mileage 328xd: no problems at all. Biodiesel actually acts like a lubrication for the fuel pump...