Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My baby, 92 525i 5 speed Silver, with black leather has to move on.

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by yonbeem, Aug 3, 2016.

yonbeem

I purchased this car in LA 1998 with 60k miles. We moved to NY in 2001. The almost 25 year old car has "only" 160,000 miles. I love this car, and it's been good to me. Well maintained at a fabulous BMW independent shop run by two older German guys. This car is right in their wheelhouse. Anyway, last week, the dreaded head gasket went. I don't have the space, tools, time or wherewithal to fix it myself. My mechanics tell me don't bother to pay them to do it. It still runs great, but of course it needs coolent every day. I wouldn't want to get stuck in traffic with it. I already purchased a 2002 E39 525i with a 5 speed to replace it. It's nice, but I'm sure it won't be the same as the '92. At least it doesn't require r12 for the ac (I never converted the ac system in the '92).

The question is, what do I do with it. I won't sell it to the public, as I don't want to deal with the crazies especially with car that needs engine work. I could donate it, or sell it to a junkyard for a little. I just hate to see this specimen that is in good shape with a fine interior pieced out or destroyed. I just put it on the club classifieds, but i won't hold my breath. Do I just let go?

Attached Files:

charlson89

If the vehicle is clean and would be a good project for some one I would wait for the right buyer. Hate to see a clean one like this go to scrap just because of a head gasket.

yonbeem

I agree, that's why I posted this. The issue is I can't store the car, or take on additional expense keeping it. I have to cancel insurance, and switch the registration to the replacement E39. The asking price is only $1500. If nobody steps up soon, it will be donated to charity or sent to the scrapper.

MGarrison

If you're in the NY area, you might consider posting in the east-coast chapter Facebook pages and any chapter message forums. I'm in Ohio, might be tempted if I were closer, but I need another E34 like a hole in the head (have two, one is same mileage and has been under-maintained, needs everything you'd expect; other, in midst of blower-box do-over, looks like a bomb hit it with all that's apart in that at the moment). In any case, I'd think someone on the east coast would be tempted if all it really needs is a head gasket job - there are lots of intrepid club members. I agree, real shame to see a clean one go to its demise for lack of a taker at a giveaway price.

nd4spdlsc

Also consider postin in the Boston and CT Valley chapters. Both seem to have more hands-on guys when I was a member.