Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My American Mille Miglia Adventure

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by JamesHLCowan, Dec 16, 2010.

JamesHLCowan

The Day I met My New Best Friend.

So here is the story. Luckily it was pretty uneventful.

My sales associate Paul picked my friend Christian and I up at the Sky Harbor at around noon on Saturday in a big white Merc S550. Strangely enough had a severed seatbelt in the back seat…not sure why one would do that. That car was surprisingly cheap feeling with silly inflating seat bolsters.
    Then Mr. Paul proceeded to tell me about how the Z4 I was buying used to be owned by a German collector…to which my friend responds very nonchalantly.

"Oh wow, so it was built in South Carolina and shipped to Germany and then back to the US"… I said nothing I felt bad for the bum.

Paul was a bit of a goober, and despite not knowing his product I would still vouch for him. He never tried to deceive me, you wouldn't believe what BS I have heard in the 10 months I was looking for one of these. Or actually I bet you all would ;)

Then they couldn't find the car as the dealer was rather large and it turned up in detail. Still more waiting in the lounge for an hour and pow it shows up. We stopped in a liquor store on the way out of town as WA liquor pricing is atrocious. I felt like a European NASCAR pioneer, running French vodka across state lines in a German two door. I was secretly asking for someone to ask for my papers…

At the dealer
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

5000 miles the cherry is lost.
    [IMG]

JamesHLCowan

Entering California
    [IMG]

Never seen so many windmills.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

A new friend in Pasadena. California is pretty neat, even the weirdoes are car enthusiasts. Funnily enough he asked if it was new and was surprised I hadn't spent 90 grand on it.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Notice there isn't a flake of snow. All this chatter about what to do…it never got below 50 degrees all the way across the pass. I didn't even put on the speed tape that Jim M recommended.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

JamesHLCowan

Ok I did see some snow ;)
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    I am guessing this was an MRI machine…It had some breast cancer logo on it.
    [IMG]

Making new friends… Yes, that's right folks. I was pulled over and ticketed by the Weed Police. I crested a hill and saw him. I was just going slightly faster than everyone else and he pinged me at 82Mph. But kindly wrote me up for 75…Haven't had a ticket in awhile but still annoying.

Had the car for just over a day and already a ticket. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

[IMG]

Weed, CA
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Northern CA
    [IMG]

JamesHLCowan

Entering Oregon
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

We stopped taking pictures at this point after taking a long lunch in Ashland as it was all familiar terrain and was starting to get dark.

My final thoughts.

This is the best all around driving cars I have ever had the pleasure. I had grown up with BMWs and have driven many from M3s, M5s and even a 6Speed X5. This is not a long distance car. My back still hurts and I know you will say you didn't have your seat in the sweet spot….well it didn't matter what I did those damn seats are firm as hell. Makes the E46 M3 seats feel like a lounge chair.
    The sound of that six is intoxicating, and the chassis so poised and rewarding to a talented pair of hands. They were right when they said it was intended to be driven in Anger.
    The interior is a mix of technology and Spartan appointments. The only automatic features are ones that enhance the driving experience. i.e. auto headlights, wipers and one touch windows. There isn't a mess of buttons everywhere like you find on a lot of cars these days.
    I am so so so glad I bought such a low mileage car. I know from my friend with an E46 M3 that proper care of the leather from day one is essential for keeping the interior and there are plenty of cars out there with trashed interiors. There is not a ding scratch or mark on it. Whoever owned this car took great care of it and I applaud them.

I don't believe in regret, I believe attain exactly what you want through careful planning, research and being true to yourself. You will be happy with 99% of your decisions.

I have had many people ask me why I bought this specific car as they know I am such a rabid car nut. And I tell them this; I and others consider myself quite talented behind the wheel as I am sure many on here are as well. Such talents require the proper tools. "You wouldn't give a surgeon an Axe and expect acceptable results" This car is the most marvelous dancing partner. You don't drive it. You pilot it.

Also if anyone has any good ideas about how to handle my Speeding Ticket, I would much appreciate any assistance.

- James HL Cowan