Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Maintenance Advice

Discussion in 'BMW' started by jodan, May 17, 2008.

jodan guest

Mileage is 62, 000 ++ , BMW 325xi 2004, needed an advice on where to go for my major service . I am due for inspection 2 and my brake light is on. Got a quote from BMW dealer and it was a little astronomical. I'm off the warranty and I am curious if its worth it to look into an indep mechanic or deal directly with the dealership. I live in Long Island , New York.

Jodan

kkratoch

I would go to the dealer. I have tried to use other facilities in an attempt to save money but it seems most places charge the same amount as the dealer, have less know-how and don't treat you any better. Unless you can find a trustworthy little shop who charges less, and who is honest enough to tell you when they can't handle the job so you can go to the dealer for it to be fixed properly. I would stick with dealer service. Plus, at my dealer they are willing to pick-up my car, give me a loaner and return my car when finished. I have never seen any shop but a dealer do that.

Autohaus guest

I would rather find a independent BMW repair shop. Have you tried The Little Garage? They have two locations in Queens and also in Huntington. They are advertised in the Bimmer magazines. Dealer service is only good while the car is under warranty. That is why kkratoch recommends the dealer. He isn't paying for anything at all since he has the warranty/maintenance package. My wifey's 2003 325xi is still under CPO/maintenance, so any problems I bring it to the dealer ONLY because it is still covered. If not, I would just bring it to my BMW mechanic 4 blocks away. You should be able to change the brake light. Roll up your sleeve's and change the bulb :)

jodan guest

Thanks for your advice!

Autohaus guest

Not a problem. We are all here to help each other out.........

BMWCCA1

Umm, I suspect when the original poster says they have a "brake light on" they mean either the pad sensor indicating worn pads, or a defect in the system. The former you should pay attention to as soon as possible or risk more expensive repairs by ignoring it. The latter you should stop driving the car immediately or you could lose your brakes. Without a better description of the "light" I can't say for sure. I'm pretty sure E39Chris misunderstood what's being described and it's not just a bulb to change.

missmelyssa guest

Once my CPO/Warranty runs out, I also plan on taking my car to an independent garage. I hear that most owners who tinker with their cars don't get the extended warranty. Some say that the extended warranty won't cover as much as you think so you're better off just paying/saving up for repairs as you go/ What's your advice on that?

Autohaus guest

I am mixed on that subject. Say ABC Warranty Inc. sells a 4-yr 50K mile warranty covering engine/trans/electrical/suspension/AC/heat/cooling for $3K. You can either buy the warranty or put the $3K in a high interest account. However, what if you have a major engine problem and/or tranny problem that would be above and beyond the $3K you have in the bank saved up for repairs? Then you will have to get other funds to cover the costs. On the flip side of the coin, just because a warranty company says that it will cover the parts they say are covered on the brochure, it doesn't always mean that they will pay for it. You need to read the fine print of the contract to see exactly whats covered and isn't. Will gaskets be included? Will they pay the shop after repairs are made or do you have to pay the shop and wait 2 months for a check (minus any deductibles)? Best bet is when you buy a used BMW, make sure the previous owner(s) have maintained the car beyond BMW's maintenance program. Service records and proper caring will be great for the next owner(s).