Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

MAF meter for '03 E39 I6

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by ponnie, Oct 30, 2009.

ponnie

I recently discovered the mass airflow meter is going bad. As I researched the price of a new MAF I discovered a huge price disparity, ranging from ~$200 (internet) to ~$400 (repair shop part price). My question is: is there a difference in the MAFs from these places - are there different brands out there that are cheaper (in price and quality) or is this just different mark-ups for the same brand? The internet sites I visited cited the brand as VDO/Siemans or just Siemans. The repair shop part price is based upon a BMW dealer part.

dms540i

Go to realoem.com and type in the last seven digits of your vin and get the BMW part number for the MAF that you need for your vehicle. Then go to the internet and get the best price for that part number. You will find the markup to be quite different from one supplier to another. Before buying a new MAF however you might try cleaning it with a shot of CRC aerosol MAF cleaner. It is very inexpensive and available everywhere. You may realize the problem was simply caused by dirt.