Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M52 Engine Ticking

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Tetris, Jun 24, 2010.

Tetris guest

S52 Engine Ticking

On Rev
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgupecXbeVE
    At Idle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4chjjv7WkOw

I purchased my 1999 M3 about a month ago. During the 2 weeks I drove it, I noticed a really loud raspy hammer on metal sound coming from my engine. I emailed the previous owner who said it was the oil being too thin. I changed the oil (15w50 and a quart of 0w-40), to no success.

I took it to a BMW performance shop who said it was definitely bad lifters. When pulled, the lifters were pitted and squishy. They had a machine shop check them who confirmed they were bad. Lifters replaced, engine buttoned up, noise was a lot quieter, but still could hear it, especially at cold start. For 10-15 seconds the noise would be loud and then get quieter by about 30%. (This is what the shop has told me since they have had the car for the past 2 weeks).

I was told that the last of the ticking could be coming from a faulty lifter carrier, not keeping the oil centralized around the lifter. I was also told that it could also be oil viscosity, air in the lines still, or a gasket that's allowing air into the system. Oil pressure is good.

The shop is currently researching it to its full extent, but I wanted to do my own investigation to help them along as much as I can. Any suggestions/help/whims would be much appreciated!
    • Staff

steven s

You sure it's not the VANOS?

Tetris guest

VANOS tick sounds different than what I have.

Update:
    After a conference call with the shop and the person that re-built the engine, we decided the next best step is to drop the oil pan and see if the oil pump/gasket are functioning properly and not letting air into the system. This stemming from the re-builder not replacing the oil pump/gasket on rebuild.

yahweh

What is your oil pressure at?

Tetris guest

Problem found. Person that rebuilt the engine used incorrect bolt sizes, didn't torque the bolts, and put the gasket on backwards for the oil pump....
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

lcjhnsn

find a tree and some rope!

yahweh

ouch, so i take it scrapped the motor?