Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M5 Jerky throttle

Discussion in 'E39 M5 (2000-2003)' started by AugsburgM5, Jun 12, 2009.

AugsburgM5 guest

I bought a 2003 M5 with 80K about 9 months ago, while I love the car, I dislike the very sensitive jerky throttle response in first and second gear, the dealer says it is normal, any advise ?

CSBM5

First off, do not use sport mode if you're having issues with the throttle. Sport just stiffens up the steering a bit, and it makes the pedal-to-throttle sensitivity go way up -- the throttles open up quicker per increment of pedal travel.

I've not had any issue with the M5 as you state, but I've owned my car for many years now. Compared to my other cars, I'd just say that you do have to be smooth the throttle as the S62 engine makes huge torque, even at low rpm, so if you are cranking open the throttle too quickly, it's going to respond strongly.

Practice smoothness, leave sport mode off (it does nothing for performance), and see if you can adapt.

If that doesn't work, make sure there are no OBDII codes stored. It's remotely possible that there is an issue with the throttle actuator or the 8 throttle bodies aren't properly sync'd, etc.

Chuck

P.S. Check out the E39 section of www.m5board.com for everything about the E39 M5.

AugsburgM5 guest

Thanks for the reply, I had a 2002 530I manual and I also have a Audi A3 20 T manual, where I can easily push the throttle very quickly with very steady response, maybe it is as you say, that on M5 the very initial response in first and second is as abrupt as I experience it. What still makes me wonder, since I have the feeling that with the Sport mode on, the response is less jerky ?

Christian

CSBM5

Yeah, that's weird. I can't understand what you're experiencing. I would say its best to meet up with another M5 owner to check out a different car.

03BeastCharmer

I actually always drive with sport on, mainly because I like the extra feel from the heavier steerting.

I don't have a jerky feeling in 1st or second. It doesn't need a lot of RPM for engagement in 1st.

M3Driver guest

I don't know if it an issue with your car, but I know the E46 had a problem with a sticky accelerator pedal that seemed to cause sort of what you are experiencing. BMW replaced the offending pedals under warranty.

However the other posters are spot on regarding sport mode. It's horrible in lower gears. I do know the Dinan software smoothed mine out quite a bit though and got rid of that 'twitchiness'.

cheers...

davkim39 guest

02 M5 Throttle

I just picked up a 2002 M5 with 68k from a friend who took good care of his cars. Not always, but it is easy to get the jerky throttle you mention in 2nd gear. It is just a matter of making sure there is open road and taking it to 4k RPM before shifting. I am saying that I have that in 2nd gear sometimes, but it is all about getting used to shifting and accelerating at the "right" time. It is not constant nor consistent in my car.

CSBM5

The S62 has SO much torque, right off idle even, that in "normal" driving you rarely need more than 2500rpm to upshift to the next gear. Revving it to 4k on a light throttle just seems to be a needless waste. Of course, capturing FTD at the CCA autocross at the Performance Center does require a few more revs. :D

03BeastCharmer

:eek: That's not an autox, that's a road course with a coupe cones placed on it. Nice driving.

The Performance Center must be a great place to have events. Going there next weekend for the ///M school, so I'll get to test it out:D