Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M3 Rear Subframe Nightmare

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by Whitney.marc, May 7, 2018.

Whitney.marc

At the end of the season last year I did my annual inspection of my 2003 BMW M3 and noticed what looked to be a small crack in the area of my rear subframe mount on the passenger side - I knew I finally had to bite the bullet and have the subframe dropped and reinforced. Luckily I live in Massachusetts and am not far from Turner Motorsports so the car went in at the end of April. Unfortunately they called to tell me it was significantly worse than they expected - significant cracking, spot welds were popped towards the front of the RACP floor and they would have to start cutting access panels under the rear seats in order to check the spot welds. The price has now gone up significantly to have this work performed. I'm quite disappointed that I am now paying a significant amount of money out of pocket for an obvious design flaw of the car that BMW will no longer cover or recognize due to the class action lawsuit from years ago. Does anyone think it would be worthwhile for me to reach out to BMW NA and discuss to see if they can do anything or is that just wishful thinking? Thanks for any advice.

MGarrison

I'd say it never hurts to ask - you might want to hit up the club ombudsmen first & see if they have suggestions. But, yes, bummer!

charlson89

Bummer to hear but your not alone on this. Did you have the subframe checked for that class action lawsuit? If so then bmws inspection process missed it or was just not a good inspection process. If so then you might have a good leg to stand on when talking to bmw NA about this.