Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M20 oil pump/pan replacement

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mac townsend, Mar 3, 2009.

mac townsend guest

1984 325E M20 lump.

Am planning to replace the a-arms in a few months.

Will having the suspension off give me easy/good access to the oil pan? I bumped it on a curb and patched it with JB weld, but I have a spare pan and want to put it on. At the same time I understand the oil pump needs to be wiothdrawn at the same time the pan is removed...so is replacing the innards of the oil pump on a 1/4 million mile engine a worthwhile thing as a "might as well as long as you are in there" deal? (kinda like doing the clutch as long as you have the engine out)

I am assuming a huge major *&^%$#^&* bitch of a job lying on my back under the car Yes?. If the Lottery Fairy taps me before I start, i might have a lift...but I ain't imagining it will happen<G>
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Remove the nuts top and bottom on the engine mounts and hoist/jack the engine up to gain enough clearance to remove the oil pan. It would not be a bad idea to remove the intake boot or just remove the airbox. Yes, it will be a pain to do it lying on your back underneath the car. Make sure that you have the car well supported (ramps would be good, as you do not gain anything by having the suspension off.) You could replace the oil pump, but they rarely go bad (it is up to you, though.) Make sure that the oil pan gasket sealing surfaces are completely clean and free of little bits of gasket or you will regret it. You can use a gasket dressing to make sure the gasket seals properly, or a really really really thin coat of black RTV or non-setting gasket sealer like Yamabond 4 which you can get from a Yamaha motorcycle dealer. You will have to jockey the engine around in the hole when you go to drop it back down, so have a pry bar handy. Be sure to remove the balancer, but you don't have to mess with the timing belt.

mac townsend guest

I am planning to replace the a-arms in the same pain sequence<G>

Where can I get ramps >20" high? the crap at the local stores is barely enough to change the oil! (15" or so) (I'd like the SOB high...make all easier). I do not drive onto the ramps, but jack onto them. Safer, much!! When doing, and when done.

Of course, if the (insert your favorite deity here) smiles, I'll come up with cash to buy a lift in the meantime. <G> (no disrespect intended to non-favorite deities!)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You can't replace the A arms with weight on the wheels. Removing them won't help with the oil pan, as the subframe would still be bolted to the body. You will have to do them separately. Put the ramps on top of 2x10s or something like that, but drain the while the car is more level if possible so that you get the most out of the pan.