Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M Aero Package

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, May 10, 2010.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

What's the difference between the sports package and the m sport package on the 335i coupe? Can you add the m sport package onto the sports package and how much do you think it would co$t? Any performnace difference? Thanks for your answers!

Zeichen311

Go to bmwusa.com, start the "Build Your Own" app for the 335i Coupe and look at the Packages tab. All the information you seek is there.

Well, except for an explanation of the new annotation that appears on some options: "This is a special option, requiring special consideration." These are Priority 1 options, meaning they are only available on a "Customer Sold" vehicle order--in other words, you have to special-order your car to get them.

Ah. So I guess it's too late too add this option on after the fact. Ratz.

Zeichen311

Most anything's possible--you could probably do most of it piecemeal for a pointless amount of money. AFAIK the aero bodywork pieces are the same ones that have long been available from the accessories catalog. Likewise the wheels and steering wheel could be ordered from the parts counter. As for the headliner...maybe, but my God that would be expensive.

Agreed. I think the aero body work is all that I would do, since there's no performance difference. What's the headliner?

Zeichen311

It's the upholstered panel lining the roof of the car. I've seen threads on other forums describing DIY swaps to get that color but IMO they're all slightly mad. Apart from the cost (near a grand) it's somewhat fragile, labor-intensive to install and you probably need additional bits like A- through C-pillar trims to complete the look.

Lol. Yea, no need for all that. I think the body kit should do just fine. I wonder if I can find one with the rear diffuser? And the cost? I'm on this forum via my iPhone right now, so I'm not really sure where to navigate to find that info.

Zeichen311

BMW USA web site, Accessories section. This link should take you right to the M Aero kit for the 335i. $1,241.00 MSRP plus painting and installation and you can undoubtedly find it for less with a CCA discount. :)

I apprciate that. Thanks for your help!

bcweir

If you're referring to the BMW M-Technic body kit for the 335i...

Bavauto has it for $1,115. That's more than $100 off.

Bavauto recommends professional installation for this. You will need to specify whether or not you have PDC (Park Distance Control) and ACC (Active Cruise Control).

Thanks for the info. I have rear parking sensors. I apprciate the info. What do you think about the body kits? Worth the money?

bcweir

Depends on which bodykits you're talking about.

BMW's M-Technic line, Alpina's are the best ones IMHO. Others such as Hamann and Hartge are a matter of taste, but are still high quality.

The ones I prefer to stay away from are Pacific Rim companies -- makes of big-mouth, mutant looking, ricer, fiberglass body-kits. These too are a matter of taste, particularly if you want to make your BMW look like a mutant Honda.

I hear you man. Thanks for that. I'm not trying to make it look anything less than a BMW with a classy aero kit. Nothing too funky. Out of the few that you recommeded. Which is the cheapest?

bcweir

If you're looking for a factory look (by far the cheapest)...

...it sounds to me like you're already sold on the look of the M-Technic kit, and it is cheaper than the Alpina bodykit, although I'm a bit surprised that the Alpina E9x body kit is not nearly as much of a premium over BMW stock as I thought it was (around $1455). BMW's bodykit is around $300 and change cheaper.

Here's a link to Alpina's USA Distributor catalog. Unfortunately, unless you're going to buy used from Ebay, you're out of luck trying to get a better price on a new Alpina part - KSK is Alpina's only licensed distributor in North America.

Here's the link to the catalog. This catalog link supports 3-series models E36, E46, and E90. I don't know how up to date those prices are -- that link is straight from KSK's website.

http://www.ksk-alpina.com/pdf/E36-E46-E90%20Catalog%2011.01.07.pdf

Nice. Thanks for all the info. I'm actually leaning more towards the BMW stock aero kit. But I will check out the others as well. If there was a huge difference in price, that may have swayed my decision. You guys have been very helpful!

bcweir

When you get that M-Technic body kit put on (professional installation recommended)..

...be sure to snap some good digital photos of that bad boy! Inquiring BMWCCA minds want to know!

Most def. Will try and post the before pics. Hope this site gets an iphone app.

Paint job

So, I think I found a front lip aero bumper for my 335i. Where would I go to get this part painted, for a good price? I'm in Connecticut. Thanks for the help.