Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Low Beams Will Not Come On

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by sebring222, Aug 20, 2012.

sebring222

I've changed the sealed beams, relays, and fuses but the low beams will not come on. When the high beam/low beam switch is in the high position, both the high and low beams come on. Thanks for your input on this.

charlson89

The best way to chase a electrical issue to start and the issue and work backwards. Of course you will need a wiring diagram for this. Start by checking power and the low beam bulb connector and work your way backward until you find the problem. Make sure you check your resistance in the wiring incase you have an open in the wiring. If I were a betting man it would be your light switch. If you are still having problems with this send me a message more then happy to help.

sebring222

Just installed a new switch, it did not make any difference. Low beams come on with high beams but will not come on by themselves.

charlson89

My apologizes for not seeing your reply to this post. Do you have wiring diagrams for the light circuit? I will research the diagrams my self. Also do you have when the lights were turned on voltage at the bulb connector across the two pins?

CRKrieger

At this age, BMW headlamp wires tend to corrode and break. Look for breaks very close to the connectors on the headlamps. A quick test is to turn on the lights and move the wires around. If the lights flicker on (or off, for that matter), you know some wires are broken. I try to do all ten headlamp connections whenever I have to do even one. That way, I won't be continuously taking it apart trying to figure out which ones I've fixed and which ones I haven't.